Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a DISCO I, questions about records and repairs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a DISCO I, questions about records and repairs

I am thinking about buying a DISCO 1 with 130K. Very clean outside, with tons of maintenance records. Carfax checks out and indicates regular dealer service including oil and lubes. It was a southern car too, and looks like it didn't go off-road much -- no dents, couple scratches, etc. I didn't have time to look at the records or test drive, just ran in and got the VIN.

Questions: Considering the mileage, what repairs should I expect to see? transmission, valves? What electrical problems should I expect to deal with? Anything specific to look for during the test drive?

I am a backyard mechanic, and I have owned mostly Fords, so I can deal with leaks, maintenance, etc. but I don't like dealing with electrical problems. I prefer to ignore them if they are not critical, like computer, lights, wipers, etc.

Thanks for any help at all,

Old 04-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Buying a DISCO I, questions about records and repairs

bought my disco1 over a year ago, i too owned fords. always wanted a rover, soooo, get ahaynes manual, follow maintenance. these trucks have some quirks but once you read the maual you'll have a greater understanding of your truck. pretty straightforward truck. if you can turn a wrench and do preventive maintenance they aren't any different than any other vehicle. i haven'y had any real problems

Old 04-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

had mine for 2 years and love it. It is a maintenance hog, but the last guy didn't treat her very well... If you need a service manual, the factory workshop manual and electrical manual are on a CD called the Rave CD, free from rover-renovations.com.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Three Wheeling

have a good look at the service records and see what has been replaced or repaired. rovers are a love hate relationship, but a rover is a rover....x2 on the rave cd..best available repair info there is...