Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Highish Mileage D2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Highish Mileage D2?

So tomorrow I am looking at a 2000 D2 with 140K. I know for the most part what to look out for as outlined in here and/or other forums. However, what I wanted to know was if I would be close to the end of the lifespan of a D2 (engine, transmission, electronics, etc) at some type of high mileage? I currently have a Cherokee and I know that the 4.0 I6 can go at least 300K miles easily.

There is that 2000 with 140K - $3800.
Landrover Discovery

There is a 2001 SD with 163K - $3900
2001 Land Rover Discovery

There is also a 1999 with 184K on body but rebuilt engine a transmission (??)
1999 Land Rover Discovery II 4x4 V8

That's what I want to know about the D2, at what mileage do I have to worry AGAIN about simple engine tasks and maybe even large things like head gaskets, etc? Hope I make sense?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...section-32402/ for lists of things to look for, things to do for high milers, and comparison of D1 / D2.

You can also download the whole set of tech manuals for free.

IMHO, if 99 really has rebuilt engine and tranny (see receipts), that would be something to consider. Of course an indy inspection would be worthwhile.

200K is possible, and we have a number of forum members who have reached that. You won't reach 300K if all you do is change oil every year, whether you need it or not. Rovers require dedicated maintenance, and particular attention to any sign of overheating.

You can also use www.statewidelist.com to seach all of your state for Rovers on craigslist, and it sorts by city. You can spec price range, dealer or private, etc.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-31-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
IMHO, if 99 really has rebuilt engine and tranny (see receipts), that would be something to consider. Of course an indy inspection would be worthwhile.

200K is possible, and we have a number of forum members who have reached that. You won't reach 300K if all you do is change oil every year, whether you need it or not. Rovers require dedicated maintenance, and particular attention to any sign of overheating.
I've read the What To Look For, so as long as it is the same then I should be good lol.

I will have to ask about the rebuilt engine and transmission and see if there is proof.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Winching

"The car is very sturdy and reliable making it a perfect first car"
hehe

That's from the first ad.

My guess is the "rebuilt engine" is head gaskets replaced.

I would look at and drive them all. If your serious about off road, go with the 1999 or 2000 so you have the CDL linkage.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by sloan74
"The car is very sturdy and reliable making it a perfect first car"
hehe

That's from the first ad.

My guess is the "rebuilt engine" is head gaskets replaced.

I would look at and drive them all. If your serious about off road, go with the 1999 or 2000 so you have the CDL linkage.
Lol the rebuilt one has been sold unfortunately.

The one that says it is a perfect first car, well I am not so sure after test driving it. Barely any of the dash lights operated when I turned the key to ON, and I got 7 codes from my ScanGaugeII:

P1590: ABS rough road signal circuit malfunction
Hardware is OK, but SLABS ECU is sending an error signal

P0440: Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction

P0155: O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 2, sensor 1)
Front sensor heater RH bank - short/open circuit

P0154: O2 sensor circuit no activity detected (bank 2, sensor 1)
Front sensor RH bank open circuit

P1300: Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
Catalyst damaging level of misfire on more than one cylinder

P0308: Cylinder 8 misfire detected
Injector 8 excess emissions/catalyst damaging level of misfire

P0302: Cylinder 2 misfire detected
Injector 2 excess emissions/catalyst damaging level of misfire

And he said he had replaced the wires and catalytic converters, but who knows. I am still looking because this one was not worth the $3800 asking price IMO.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Continue the hunt, this is one you toss back.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Continue the hunt, this is one you toss back.
Haha yea, however, as I was running away from this particular D2, I spotted another one, same color but being driven by an elderly woman, driving by with a for sale sign. As much as I want a D2, I followed her trying to get her number to call, but I just ended up parking next to her at a Cuban restaurant down the block.

It was a 1999 D2 with 95K, two owners. The first owner had it for 2 years, then she bought it for her daughter, so they have owned it for ~11 years. It had NO CODES (yaaaaaay) so no 3 amigos, and when I pressed HDC it went bonkers so it definitely worked and the lights on the dash functioned. No vibes while driving, and it had power. I think it was an SD because it had no sunroofs (again yaaaaaay).

However, as good as it seemed mechanically, the exterior had some dents and scratches, faded roof paint, the rear tailgate has a broken handle so I had to open it with a screw driver, it had a a nasty scratch that went through the driver's fender behind the light so it would need a new fender, and the headliner was sagging dearly. Also, what is up with all DIIs have a loose dash thingy that surrounds the speedometer, etc?

What worried me the most is that she told me the whole time she has owned it (again, ~11 years) she has pumped REGULAR gas.

Oh, and she was asking $3500 cash. Hmmm....?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroSynch
Haha yea, however, as I was running away from this particular D2, I spotted another one, same color but being driven by an elderly woman, driving by with a for sale sign. As much as I want a D2, I followed her trying to get her number to call, but I just ended up parking next to her at a Cuban restaurant down the block.

It was a 1999 D2 with 95K, two owners. The first owner had it for 2 years, then she bought it for her daughter, so they have owned it for ~11 years. It had NO CODES (yaaaaaay) so no 3 amigos, and when I pressed HDC it went bonkers so it definitely worked and the lights on the dash functioned. No vibes while driving, and it had power. I think it was an SD because it had no sunroofs (again yaaaaaay).

However, as good as it seemed mechanically, the exterior had some dents and scratches, faded roof paint, the rear tailgate has a broken handle so I had to open it with a screw driver, it had a a nasty scratch that went through the driver's fender behind the light so it would need a new fender, and the headliner was sagging dearly. Also, what is up with all DIIs have a loose dash thingy that surrounds the speedometer, etc?

What worried me the most is that she told me the whole time she has owned it (again, ~11 years) she has pumped REGULAR gas.

Oh, and she was asking $3500 cash. Hmmm....?
Nice. I love my '99 D2. Everyone always says the 2004's were the best year because they had the 4.6l and came with the CDL already installed, but they had their issues with the 4.6l block. IMO, if you were to go with any other year of the D2 it would be the '99. You can get a transfer case shifter from a D1 for less than $150, so you can easily engage the CDL. Plus, many folks feel that the earlier 4.0l blocks were better because the tooling used to cast them wasn't quite as tired as it was near end.

The cosmetic stuff you've described above can be easily addressed. Contact Will Tillery, Paul Grant, Marty "Drillbit" Powell, Randy "Roverover" Williams, or PT Schram about the tailgate, fender and trim. One of them should have the parts off a used truck to replace the damaged pieces...between all of the above guys, I'sure you can even find the right colors so you can (hopefully) avoid painting things like the fender. (Some of these guys like PT, Marty and Randy may even chime in on your thread over on D-Web...)

That said, I'd still have it checked out by a good Rover mechanic, make sure you ask about maintenance records, whether the head gaskets have been changed yet, and has the engine ever overheated? At 95k, if the head gasket hasn't been changed, you should keep in mind that it is probably going to fail sometime in the near future. (There are exceptions, but most often they fail somewhere between 80k and 120k miles.) This is true of any D2 you buy...either an '04 or '99...they all need HG's sooner or later. If you're mechanically inclined this is something you can replace yourself in a weekend for less than $1k, or you can pay a shop (~$1600 - $2600) to do it for you.

Other than the regular gas thing, if it has been well maintained, checks out OK, and has comparable miles, then IMHO the '99 is going to offer the most bang for the buck...

Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Overlanding

Yea the 99' is still in my mind because it drove the best, despite the cosmetic issues. However the lady did tell me it "kinda" over heated once; she saw it getting hot so she took it to get checked. Not sure if I should be concerned as it drove nicely, but definitely would take it to a Rover Shop in the area to check it over.

I'm looking at this one today:

2000 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY

Looks good mileage and price wise, but like always, you never know until you are actually in there driving it around with the seller next to you all weird since I plug in my ScanGaugeII to check stuff while driving lol.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Winching

I have had great luck with my 99 as well.