Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my first - Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first - Key Question

Hello everyone. My first post, and also about to buy my first LR Disco.

It is a 2004 SE model, and the dealer says they only haveone key... no remote. I'm curious how I can find out if this Disco is capable of remote entry. It is a feature I really like. Not a deal breaker, but I would like to have it.

Do all Discos come with this feature and they just lost the key? If it doesn't have it, can I add it later?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Buying my first - Key Question

Is this being sold by a Rover dealer, if so, have him set a remote up for you. Yes they all work on remotes and reatil along with programming can run as much as $200.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

remotes are expensive! WTH kind of dealer is this that dosent have the original keys? sounds like a scam to me.

edit: Land rover remotes are built into the keys, so it idnt the original

Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 PM
3rd Gear

It's not being sold by a LR dealer. I understand that I should by a certified, etc. but this Disco is in near perfect condition with less than 50,000 miles.

Anyway, I'm under the impression that the included key is an aftermarket, and no, it doesn't have the remote built into it. I don't mind paying a LR dealer to get a new one, even if it's $200 +/-.

I'm just curious if this feature came standard on all SE models in 2004, or will I need something besides the remote and programming.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear

BTW: Thanks for the responses...

I've read a few other threads on this site concerning the keys, and don't think I'm up for chancing ebay for them. There's a LR dealership about two miles away from where I'm purchasing mine, so I'll literally drive it straight there.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:09 PM
4wd Low

Your car should have remote capability I had the dealer make me one for my 2004 disco hse, total cost was 187.00. Thay did it while I waited and took about 1 hour.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 PM
4wd Low

Texasdiver,
In regards to your ? about the key. You can call the LandRoverdealer w/ the VIN #, & they will tell you if the Disco is equipped w/remote option. If it is, which I believe all SE's are equipped with it.Then you should get thedealer you are buying from provide u w/ one.

If the Disco is so equipped then most likely it was a repo. and the banks and finance co.'s won't spend the $$ to get the remotes. It the dealership claims it was a trade-in, and it is so equipped, then all they have to do is call the previous owner to get the keys..

I buy quite a few Land Rovers for my dealership and always provide my customers w/ a Remote Key, plus, dealers can get the key for you for about 15% less. Also, you would probably pay about an add'l 4-6K buying from a Land Rover Dealership

I am also curious as to how much the Disco's are selling for in Texas, I have a 2004Disco SE w/ 44K Miles, Excellent condition, I started out @ $17,900 and have reduced it down to $15,400 I havesome lookers, but still no buyer.

Good Luck w/ your purchase, the Land Rovers are great. Also, I would highly recommend you spend the extra $$ and have theLand Rover dealership do a full inspection on the car. If youtalk to the service dept. they may give you some insight on any repairs that have been done, or if the last time the Disco was in for service, if there were any repairsnot completed. Oh yea, you sure also pull a Carfax Report. I pull them on every car I buy, before buying them. If the car has had any front end damage, stay away from it.

Frank [&:]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12130/E068E44A2B7749E8A77E5359DB458798.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Cruzin-are you serious? $15k? Certified '04's from a LR dealer with a warrenty are going for less than that.
Because of the high gas prices and because these trucks require premium gas they are not fetching a high price. Markets vary, but not by that much.

Texasdriver-Your truck has keyless entry, you just need the remote. The remote can be bought seperately from the key, it "snaps" over the key fob. If in fact your truck is a repo then and the repo company cut their own key so that they could take the trcuk then there is no way in hell that you will ever get the original keys from the previous owner.
You can buy a new key and remote from e-bay, but first ask the dealer how much they want for a key and remote and ask them if programming the remote is included in the price.