Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2000 Disco as a first car

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2000 Disco as a first car

Hey I'm new here and looking at a 2000 Discovery with 102k miles as my first car. I was reading over the thread listing potential problems and had a few specific questions, as I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

My first question had to do with the oil pump problems requiring a new engine. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but what can I specifically look for to see if the pump is showing signs of failing? Are there noticable symptoms or does it just die?

Second, the rebuilding of the front end U-Joints. From what I've read, it looks to be an inexpensive job, but I have no visual of what exactly is needing replacement. When I go look at the disco tomorrow, I want to know what to look for to see if the u-joints have been replaced with greased u-joints or not. Does anybody have any pointers, or pictures I could go by? That would be a huge help.

I've got a family friend who owns a garage offering to look the vehicle over before I buy it, and I will give him the list of potential trouble spots, but I really would like some discovery owner's input before I jump into the Land Rover world.

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:58 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the oil pump failure problem is only with the '03 model. If the driveshaft U-joints do not have zerk fittings they will need to be replaced with U-joints that do have zerk fittings. Unless you're REALLY mechanically inclined or have lots of money a DII might not be the best first/only vehicle for you. I love mine and i'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I have a second vehicle to drive while I learn how to repair a problem on my rover. good luck.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your mechanic will be able to tell you if the u-joints on the front driveshaft are greasable or not. If they aren't, you should have it rebuilt or replaced immediately at that mileage. A faillure will take out your transmission and possibly the transfer case, not to mention the floor pan. You will probably see the "three amigos" warning lights on the dash. Search the forum for that phrase for plenty of background information. I agree with NiteTrain - this is probably not a good "first vehicle." You should also know that it only gets 14mpg and REQUIRES premium fuel. If you decide to get it, include at least $250.00 for rebuilding your front driveshaft and get your mechanic to give you a quote on the 60K service as those things will need to be done immediately.

If you decide to buy, please post pics and the mileage. Thanks and good luck!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the insight NiteTrain and glider. If I purchase one, I have already budgeted for the front end repair and a 60k checkup. I'm not worried about gas because I have a good paying job, and this will only be getting me a couple of miles to school each day with an occasional weekend trip, but nothing too far (as in out of state). I'm going to at least look at the 2 potential disco's, and then make my decision. Are the zerk fittings something I can get under and see for myself? Is it just a little oil gun hole/nipple somewhere on the u-joint structure?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:57 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brianb883
Is it just a little oil gun hole/nipple somewhere on the u-joint structure?
Yes they can either be on the ends of the u-joint or between the ends. You may gave to feel for them if they are facing up.

The cost of the Disco does not really come into play until those inevitable repairs start rolling in one after another. If you have the time, money, tools and inclination to do the work yourself then go for it. Things like a head gasket job will cost you $2k at a shop but only $500 DIY.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Yes they can either be on the ends of the u-joint or between the ends. You may gave to feel for them if they are facing up.

The cost of the Disco does not really come into play until those inevitable repairs start rolling in one after another. If you have the time, money, tools and inclination to do the work yourself then go for it. Things like a head gasket job will cost you $2k at a shop but only $500 DIY.
Thanks, as long as a head gasket replacement is easier then it was in my 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a transverse mounted V6...getting to the back 3 cylinders is a royal pain in the ***!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not super easy but I did it. It's just a matter of taking your time.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Download the RAVE manual and take your time and you can do all the maintenance on these vehicles yourself. I had a mechanic that specializes in Rovers (D2s are their primary customers, go figure) do my head gaskets and water pump because I didn't want to and at the time I could afford to.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 08-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the input and insight everyone. I thought I had one lined up, but it turns out the interior needed alot of work, it was a smoker's car, the headliner was trashed, etc. and there were just too many miles on it to warrent putting a couple $k into the interior. Right now i'm looking at a 2002 with 95k miles in great condition. I'll keep you all posted.