Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C blower stopped working, Resistor or Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:53 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks for the update.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

connector and melted it!
Typically a melted connector is caused by a seizing/seized blower motor drawing too much power. The resistor is in the system to reduce fan speed, usually when/only it fails the fan only runs at the highest speed. Ignoring or putting off a slow fan may also burn up the resistor as well?

Old 08-06-2017, 01:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Typically a melted connector is caused by a seizing/seized blower motor drawing too much power. The resistor is in the system to reduce fan speed, usually when/only it fails the fan only runs at the highest speed. Ignoring or putting off a slow fan may also burn up the resistor as well?
Yeah, my resistor is fine. I ordered a new(ish) one from Abran and it's working like a champ. Blows slower or faster depending on the need.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:38 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

I faced the same situation.... blower motor stopped working.... will not run even when turn to Hi setting.... which I understand means the resistor may not be the problem. It is simply no power going to the blower motor. So, I went the the process of deduction....

First checked the fuses #6, #7 and #30. All checked out fine with 11+ to 12 volts reading on the multimeter.

Then removes the blower motor and powered straight to a 12-volt battery... the blower motor started right up.

I used a multimeter to check if power is going to the blue connector which goes to the blower motor. The multimeter showed no power going to the connector. However, the connector looked fine, i.e., no corrosion or loose connections.

I then ran a test with the multi-meter to see if the two blower relays are working. One turned out to be faulty. It was not clicking when power was turned on for the blower. I opened up the faulty relay and saw corrosion. The corrosion prevented the relay strip from making an electrical contact. I cleaned out the corrosion and the relay is working now.... which means I have a working heater.air-con blower!!!

Attached Thumbnails A/C blower stopped working, Resistor or Motor?-relay-1.jpg   A/C blower stopped working, Resistor or Motor?-relay-2.jpg