Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c compressor rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 PM
fgd
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Sounds like the shop has at least one idiot working there.

If there's play replace the A/C pulley bearing before it fails. No need to swap compressors and pay to have it serviced.

When you have the belt off again check each pulley and idler for play and/or dragging bearing by rotating by hand.
I've been through all the pulleys several times. I replaced one idler pulley that felt rough. The a/c pulley feels good and engages and disengages as it should. It really sounds like something inside the compressor. Turning the a/c on and off doesn't seem to have an effect.
It was at a good Land Rover shop and I trust what they told me.

I wanted to follow up on here because there seem to be way too many posts where a problem is described and no one follows up to say what they've done to fix their problem.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by fgd
I've been through all the pulleys several times. I replaced one idler pulley that felt rough.I wanted to follow up on here because there seem to be way too many posts where a problem is described and no one follows up to say what they've done to fix their problem.
Original post:
I took the serpentine belt off and the a/c pulley has a little play in it.
You're the one who mentioned the play.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:31 PM
fgd
Drifting

It's been 4 months so I didn't recall. Without going out and pulling everything I think the play I mentioned is clockwise/counter clockwise on the a/c pulley. Maybe that's normal? When I have time I'll check to see if there's any wobble across the axis.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:15 PM
fgd
Drifting

For the sake of trouble shooting, if the bearing was bad in the a/c compressor wouldn't there be a noticeable difference in noise when a/c was on or off? Right now the noise is fairly consistent whether the a/c is on or off. With it off, only the outer ring of the pulley wheel turns with the belt. That would have its own bearing, right? When a/c is on and the clutch engages on that pulley wheel, it would be turning everything in the compressor tied to a different bearing I'd assume.
Thoughts?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by fgd
For the sake of trouble shooting, if the bearing was bad in the a/c compressor wouldn't there be a noticeable difference in noise when a/c was on or off?
Usually no difference. The clutch plate/materiel is attached to the compressor shaft. When engaged the pulley turns the compressor. Only way to check bearing is to remove belt and feel it for looseness. Rotate by hand and feel/listen for dragging or dry bearings. It's simple stuff and you do a web search and look at pictures of a/c clutches if needed.

Last edited by number9; 02-11-2018 at 06:51 PM.