Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for the write-up! Just did this and my fan was filled with leaves...
Also I soaked the cage in a Mr. Clean w/ Febreeze & water bath for about an hour then let it all air dry before putting it back in the truck. My a/c smells wonderful now Overall, this was a 2 beer job and would be ok with doing it annually.
A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-imag0056.jpg

A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-imag0058.jpg

A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-imag0059.jpg

A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-imag0061.jpg

A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-imag0063.jpg

Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lostl13
Also I soaked the cage in a Mr. Clean w/ Febreeze & water bath for about an hour then let it all air dry before putting it back in the truck. My a/c smells wonderful now Overall, this was a 2 beer job and would be ok with doing it annually.
Attachment 16692

Attachment 16694

Attachment 16695

Attachment 16696

Attachment 16697
hehe nice! well Im going to do this now that I have actually have my fan working... just whatever you do do NOT use Fabuloso! hahaha or your car will smell like a freshly cleaned toilet! lol When I bought my disco, the windshield plenum was broken and there was no pollen/leaf filter... I had to replace those parts! so I bet there are all kinds of things in there... my fan seems good now and quiet and blowey, but it defiantly could not blow my cap off! hmmm plus its not super cold and compressor never turns off... so Ill be putting it on guages soon... but its pretty cool! lol

Last edited by dparham; 06-13-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Drifting

fab-a-loso sucks!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lostl13
Thanks for this, and you should verify your Plenum Filter is in place and not broken. Those leaves should not be making their way into the system.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Motor is just fine, only had the truck a month but there was no filter and well a windshield club promo flyer slipped into the windshield plenum Im guessing due to no filter? So even more reason to be pissed at those douchebags passing those out...

The plastic fan iis donezo, melted up because of heat AND all the crap you see, I also found out my '99 has a disco I fan and yes Im a disco 2. I had to order a 1997 fan to fit it since all disco 2s had diff connectors. I could have spliced but its a cramped area with not much wire to mess with. Odd. Just glad its a clean swap out and this tutorial was an awesome write up!

n if anyone needs just a motor PM me

Name:  2013-06-24_150455_zps24d4cdb5.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  51.6 KB

Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Thank you!!!

My fan was rattling so much I was going nuts!!

Just finished cleaning my Disco 2 ('04) blower. The squirrel cage was full of leaves and a piece of the filter foam. I dissambled, cleaned, oiled and assemble back the whole unit in about 1 hour thanks to your very helpful and illustrative post. Thank you!!!

Old 07-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by jmiselem
My fan was rattling so much I was going nuts!!

Just finished cleaning my Disco 2 ('04) blower. The squirrel cage was full of leaves and a piece of the filter foam. I dissambled, cleaned, oiled and assemble back the whole unit in about 1 hour thanks to your very helpful and illustrative post. Thank you!!!
Great news, thanks for the input.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I still have not replaced my plenum filter. I need to get on it. And for those who don't know what I'm talking about, here are graphics to show what I mean.
I found it odd that the cabin filter is out the outside, no real filter for the massive intake rectangle the blower uses to suck air into the blower. I followed
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-filter-21344/
To get the filter replacement but I used a blue filter from hardware store with metal mesh and cut that to fit. When the filter does start to die it wont have the option of being sucked into the blower motor and it has a hepa rating. Im also debating coveing the large intake for the blower with the same to stop my issues of large debris. Oh and it looks pretty sweet in blue

Remember to seal or reseal your cowl/plenum to the windshield otherwise air bypasses the filter and goes right down the windshield into the open blower rectangle. Depending on the gap water will not get in that intake, but like my other picture a nightclub flyer slid in BEHIND the cowl right down the windshield into the blower motor. I assume snow and runoff from carwashes with large flow could do the same eventually and well the windshield on the disco2 already has her leak issues.

Last edited by gpelite; 07-07-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by gpelite
I found it odd that the cabin filter is out the outside, no real filter for the massive intake rectangle the blower uses to suck air into the blower.
I too find it very strange how the air is "Filtered". It appears that air is pulled directly from the engine compartment without ANY filtering whatsoever. That means when you are stirring up dust, (Like I did for the 4th of July holiday in the desert), it ends up directly in your cab, thus a VERY dusty cab.

I think I'll also figure out a way to add a filter to those large pickup holes.

I finally got my Plenum Filter done before my trip. Cost $0.98 at Home Depot for about a 2'x2' piece of filter that I cut down as Spike showed on that thread.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM
4th Gear
Default Largemountain

Thanks for all your effort and expertise in this article. Extremely well done, and hugely helpful.

Quick Reply: A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation