Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Junk yard might be a good option. Just be sure to clean and oil before installing so you don't have to go right back in to quiet it down.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well just finished the re and re and clean and lube on my heater fan. Couldn't take the squealing anymore. Works great now and was a fairly easy job.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you thank you so much for this post.
My fan was noisy and then my fan blower regulator went bad. I purchased a new one and reinstalled it BEFORE reading this post and it lasted for a week before blowing the replacement (a painful $200 lesson). I then purchased ANOTHER regulator and followed the steps for removal, cleaning, lube and re-install of the fan and (knock on wood)...so far it is working great.

Thanks again.
Paul

Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by pauldavidanthony
Thank you thank you so much for this post.
My fan was noisy and then my fan blower regulator went bad. I purchased a new one and reinstalled it BEFORE reading this post and it lasted for a week before blowing the replacement (a painful $200 lesson). I then purchased ANOTHER regulator and followed the steps for removal, cleaning, lube and re-install of the fan and (knock on wood)...so far it is working great.

Thanks again.
Paul
Glad to hear it, hopefully that was the cause of the strain and overheating. Just an FYI, there's also a post somewhere talking about a bad connection on the fuse block, if I remember correctly. That could also cause overheating of the wires.

And, for what it's worth, my fan is still silent since the original post. That blows me away!

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-10-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Thank you, and I highly suggest this maintenance. It will save you $$$ in the long run. Even just having debri in there will cause the bearings to wear faster since the fan will be out of balance. Also, moisture accumulates there due to hot and cold changes, so the bearings suffer with that too and the oil will help prevent rusting.That's a good idea. I still have not replaced my plenum filter. I need to get on it. And for those who don't know what I'm talking about, here are graphics to show what I mean.

I'm glad you posted that. My plenum air filter has disappeared and the plastic part that covers the bottom of the glass is broken in places. Do you recall what that part is called?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I'm glad you posted that. My plenum air filter has disappeared and the plastic part that covers the bottom of the glass is broken in places. Do you recall what that part is called?
This?
1999-2004 Discovery II Center Air Intake Assembly - Cowl Panel

Old 12-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up! I will attempt this project this weekend to hopefully cure the rattling motor! Thanks again

Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by joshrave
Awesome write up! I will attempt this project this weekend to hopefully cure the rattling motor! Thanks again
Good luck! It kept my fan quiet until I sold it over a year later. I haven't heard from new owner yet, so assuming it's still quiet.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Outstanding write up! As soon as it warms up here in the NE I'm going to have a go at this!

Old 12-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Glad to hear it, hopefully that was the cause of the strain and overheating. Just an FYI, there's also a post somewhere talking about a bad connection on the fuse block, if I remember correctly. That could also cause overheating of the wires.

And, for what it's worth, my fan is still silent since the original post. That blows me away!
Very helpful thread. Doing mine today. The intermittent squeaking is a pain.

Quick Reply: A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation