Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gpelite
I would say YES you can do it in the drive lol, you can do all this in your driveway because I did on my e36 bmw. However As soon as that dryer is in, you should be going to a shop for a vac and recharge immediately. Do that last if you can. Air = poison for it and it will not work properly with prolonged exposure to air and moisture. DO NOT turn on the AC on the way to the shop either because you are pushing air through it (idk why you would neway). If you do in fact do it yourself wait for a dry dry day as well. You should replace it since air has circulated through it a lot.

but +1 on a new shop and +1 on dryer and any bad seals nearby, dryer is a must with a drained system.

Ok sounds like a plan, will order parts and replace and get to shop ASAP for vac/recharge.....really don't want to do the recharge on my own, don't mind paying someone to do that

Thanks Guys!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling

One other question....can I lube those new o-rings with any old oil or do I need to use A/C specific oil?

Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A/C Spec oil is what it calls for. Can you get by with other oil, not sure, but I would not risk contaminating the system.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
re: pull the vacuum for at least 30-45 mins.

Very important step as it boils off the moisture in the system. Just llike coolant cap increases boiling point, vac decreases it.
Yea, I learned the hard way. I hooked up the nice new vacuum pump and it pulled the low pressure gauge down to -30 in just a couple minutes. I let it run maybe 15 minutes, locked down the blue low pressure valve and leak test was good, so did the coolant fill. I could not get the inside vehicle A/C vents to get cold enough at the specified low pressure side temp ranges or even just a little higher that I pushed it. So, I had the coolant removed, and then pulled the vacuum for 45 mins. this time, leak tested, and filled, and the pressure was more in line with what I was expecting. I got the internal vent A/C temp to 45-48 degrees which is about what you should be able to read on a mild 70-75 degree day that I had. I learned a lot on this project, and definitely more knowledgeable to tackle the D2 A/C when the time comes.

Now back to D2 preventive maintenance and a few minor repairs

Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
A/C Spec oil is what it calls for. Can you get by with other oil, not sure, but I would not risk contaminating the system.
I ask because the Rave calls for:

Refrigerant oil
Use only Nippon Denso ND-oil 8.

Don't know where to find this stuff.....

Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Pull vacuum. You can do it with an air compressor and a little venturi vacuum generator.
Make sure oil charge is proper.
Put in 134a - not too much.
Make sure tho all the "O" rings are replaced.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy2Rover
Thanks for the info dig 07.....Rockauto has the best price on the receiver drier, the a/c line looks like $107 from Atlantic British. How do I find the gasket kit on Rockauto? Never mind, just found it on their site.

What Mercedes dealer are you at in NJ? The Benz has been dead reliable so far, 111k miles on it now, wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere....
I actually work out of Manhattan. MB Manhattan. Where everyone goes when everywhere else can't fix it.!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Ok guys, the issue with my A/C is resolved. I replaced the leaky line and receiver drier, returned to the mechanic in a box place, they said it was leaking at either end of the new line I replaced, and refused to work on it any further.

Took it to a local indy, he said the O rings got pinched when I installed them, he redid them and recharged the system, and $64 later I'm blowing cold. He also noticed the A/C condenser fan I installed was blowing backwards.

So lessons learned.....be careful installing new A/C lines, be very careful you don't pinch the O-rings. Also, as mentioned in other threads, when you replace your A/C condenser fan, make sure it's blowing towards the condenser, not towards you! I connected the blue wire from the new fan to the blue wire on the plug and black to black assuming that was correct, but it wasn't, so be careful...