Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Question

I am changing out the A/C compresser on my 2000 Disco since it is making an unbearable screaming sound. My A/C blows very cold air with no issues other than the screaming sound. I am unable to find an A/C clutch so I am buying the whole unit.
I am told that this is not such an easy job. Service dept at Land Rover dealer said that if I change out the compressor, I will also need to change the condensor (since my car has a "parallel flow" design and it cannot be flushed). In addition, they are saying I also need to replace the accumulator (drier) and expansion valve (orifice tube).

Is all this true? Why can't I just buy the compressor and discharge the system, hook up the new compressor and re-charge it myself? Do I really need to buy all these other parts considering everything works fine right now...other than the squeal?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason for the drier, is to ensure the system does not have any moisture in it. I serviced my A/C system last year and didn't find it worth it to replace the drier during the process (mainly due to the age of the vehicle).If you are wondering, my a/c works fine. If I were you, I would just discharge the system and replace the compressor. Recharge it with a kit at a local auto parts store (buy a gauge, or ensure the kit you buy has one). I can walk you through the process if you want via phone, just PM me.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will add that to do it right, you will need to pull a vacuum on the system after replacing the parts and before filling.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

2X on the above comments. You can do this yourself, and ...yes you should vac out the system for best results. There are many shops out there that will vac and fill the system for you once you have put it all together.....usually around $80 ....if you aren't comfortable with the process.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will do thanks to all for the advice

Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Pull a vacuum. No other way to get the moisture out. It only takes a little to condense and freeze in your system and plug the oriface. I'd also reconsider replacing the dessicant (dryer) as well. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend having someone vac out the system to make sure the moisture is all out and purchase a new dryer and filter. If the filter has remenants in it from whatever is making that screaming sound and you connect a new compressor and something get through the filter you will be purchasing a new one soon(again).

Old 03-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Have to do the drier, then pump the system down, verify for leaks then add the proper amount of a/c oil and freon.
Make sure while it is all apart that you tape the ends of all open hoses to keep as much junk and moisture out of the system.