Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camel Steel Wheels for D2

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

^Cali sandal tan right there!

Old 06-29-2017, 12:52 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Haha! Didn't even realize it was in the pic.

Too bad when I surf the tops of my feet don't see the sun!

Old 06-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
^Cali sandal tan right there!
That be a flip flop tan.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
That be a flip flop tan.
I live in VT, we don't have enough summer days to need to know the difference

Old 06-29-2017, 07:57 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
I have a set of 4 straight ones that need refinishing.

here is a pic of the worst one:

On second thought I think Ill go with RRC114560MUW wheels x5. Do you have them? I dont care about flaky paint because Imma paint them White.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I wonder how those solid wheels will effect the brakes. On old LR's with Drum Brakes cooling wasn't issue, but vented disc normally need a flow of air across them to keep em cool.

I've got a set of 5 steel D2 wheels from AB in my shop that I plan on slapping some 265/75R16 M/T's on some day, but I like the lighter alloy wheels for 99% of the time.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:17 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I wonder how those solid wheels will effect the brakes. On old LR's with Drum Brakes cooling wasn't issue, but vented disc normally need a flow of air across them to keep em cool.

I've got a set of 5 steel D2 wheels from AB in my shop that I plan on slapping some 265/75R16 M/T's on some day, but I like the lighter alloy wheels for 99% of the time.
I hear ya. But steel wheels are more offroad friendly. The inner portion of steel wheels is recessed and less likely to rub aginst rocks. When steel wheels do get damaged you can potentially hammer them back in place as said before so thats what Im looking for. Ive decided to go with RRC114560MUW wheels and they do have better venting so that should not be a problem. They also look fantastic painted white!

Old 06-30-2017, 09:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I hear ya. But steel wheels are more offroad friendly. The inner portion of steel wheels is recessed and less likely to rub aginst rocks. When steel wheels do get damaged you can potentially hammer them back in place as said before so thats what Im looking for. Ive decided to go with RRC114560MUW wheels and they do have better venting so that should not be a problem. They also look fantastic painted white!
How in the world did you damage your wheels that badly!??
Switching to steel wheels won't fix poor driving. In fact steel wheels may be worse. On steel wheels the wheel studs are exposed so if you drive blindly again you'll ruin your wheel studs instead of just the alloy nut caps.
Not that you've ever listened to me, but I'd pull all the caps off your current lug nuts and run your stock alloys. You need more seat time on the trail to improve your driver skill. Until that happens you might as well beat up the wheels you've already ruined.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
How in the world did you damage your wheels that badly!??
Switching to steel wheels won't fix poor driving. In fact steel wheels may be worse. On steel wheels the wheel studs are exposed so if you drive blindly again you'll ruin your wheel studs instead of just the alloy nut caps.
Not that you've ever listened to me, but I'd pull all the caps off your current lug nuts and run your stock alloys. You need more seat time on the trail to improve your driver skill. Until that happens you might as well beat up the wheels you've already ruined.

I didn't even notice the lug nuts! Wow!

Boy...wtf have you been doing?! Looks like you've just been setting the wheel up against the rocks and using whatever grabs to crawl your way up!

I think the others are right, you don't need to trash another set of wheels, you need to keep practicing with these...

Old 06-30-2017, 12:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd say switching to steel might be the way to go, but I wouldn't buy new if you plan to keep grinding them against the side of rocks. You can probably sell your alloys to someone who is willing to put a little time into refinishing them. It looks like possibly 3 can be saved, although one of the hits to the bead appears to have a crack in it. You should also check some salvage yards for older P38s. I found 2 in a yard near me that had steel spares that are the RRC114560MUW rims. And I'd paint them the color of the Series wheels which was Limestone. Buy plenty of extra so you can repaint them every time you go wheeling.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (07-02-2017)

Quick Reply: Camel Steel Wheels for D2