Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use the heated windscreen wiring for aux lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Can't be bothered to trawl through all the replies and some cr*p.

The heated windscreens are, on mine at least, on timers but I don't know what type of timers.

That apart you could use the switch and wiring to initiate a relay and then cable from the load side of the relay in suitably heavy cable from the fuse box making use of a heavy duty fuse and a return to earth. It would work without risking overloading the existing heated windscreen circuit. A relay take a miniscule amount of current to the exciter coil for the magnet to energise.

A typical relay like these. https://www.google.fr/search?q=pictu...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 05-23-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:33 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
This is a test....To see how many people are following this thread due to Oilsh*t trolling and belittling other members comments.

Liberal?? I ride my horses and shoot my guns motherfu*ker...

Im done
Whats funny is how many people have suggestions on here that raise questions about if its possible, yet you claim Dane! and I are the two people that "haven't done it won't work some bull****."

Riding horses further makes you sound like an environmentalist that probably drives spikes through trees to keep the chainsaws away. As for shooting guns, well great, who doesn't love shooting guns? Perhaps you are half liberal, half conservative?

Oh and I'm not trolling or belittling other members, if you look at who was the jerk first, it was you telling Dane! off, then I said something, and then you jump me too. So in really buddy, it looks to me that you were the *** first, and now are trying to blame it on me.

Your face when you read this

Old 05-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Can't be bothered to trawl through all the replies and some cr*p.

The heated windscreens are, on mine at least, on timers but I don't know what type of timers.

That apart you could use the switch and wiring to initiate a relay and then cable from the load side of the relay in suitably heavy cable from the fuse box making use of a heavy duty fuse and a return to earth. It would work without risking overloading the existing heated windscreen circuit. A relay take a miniscule amount of current to the exciter coil for the magnet to energise.

A typical relay like these. https://www.google.fr/search?q=pictu...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Hey MotoWHATEVER you better tell this guy he sounds like a doubter and a "never done never tried" person just like I.

As for offroadFrance-great information to add about the timing, might want to be careful about rubbing moto the wrong way with your information. :P

Old 05-25-2014, 03:43 PM

Well worth a read

Automotive Wiring Tips

Old 05-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going through all the trouble to run from the heated wind shield switch, your doing the more work than you originally thought. That's assuming your going to do it correctly, or at all. That's why I said rewire it yourself, I didn't say it cant be done, it would just be implausible to.

Also, if you want to keep the factory look by using the LR switches, you should use the cruise control switch, that will work as it's not the same type of switch and will stay on as long as its pushed in. Just run a relay as the wires on the switch itself are small and you should be safe.

This thread got out of hand fast. I say do your controversial wiring setup and prove us all wrong. Honestly. I'm doing the same thing with my exhaust. Worst thing that happens is it doesn't work. right?

Old 05-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Im totally lost on this one? I never disagreed/down played anyone?? Oilsh*t, you really need to learn how to read??

So much great info on this site.....Im going to go cut down a tree now.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im totally lost on this one? I never disagreed/down played anyone?? Oilsh*t, you really need to learn how to read??

saying Oil**** is an insult, for starters.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Frank4
Thanks Dane, I can always count at least one or two "it won't work and by the way I have never tried it" replies.
Last i looked, this is a general discussion style of forum you boner.
So first you say I'm the boner.. "I never disagreed/down played anyone?" oh okay.
log on to "my land rover mechanic.com" and pay for a certified mechanic info

And dane! is correct, saying oilsh*t is not being a total worthless f*cking c*ckskr at all.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:49 AM

Hey you guys take a step back and catch your breath.

We are about solving a small electrical problem here not starting WW3.

It looks stupid from the outside to others and not a good advert to prospective forum users. There are also a lot of women reading and posting on here. Cool it eh.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hey you guys take a step back and catch your breath.

We are about solving a small electrical problem here not starting WW3.

It looks stupid from the outside to others and not a good advert to prospective forum users. There are also a lot of women reading and posting on here. Cool it eh.

I know you are but what am I!

Quick Reply: Can I use the heated windscreen wiring for aux lights?