Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can oil in the O2 sensor connector effect the sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can oil in the O2 sensor connector effect the sensor?

ive heard this claim but it just doesn't make sense. can someone explain this?

Old 05-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

If that was true none of the in-tank fuel pumps that use locking spade power connectors would work. Not sure where you heard the claim about the O2 sensors, but unless the oil has attracted so much dirt and grime as to compromise the electrical connection I call BS.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast951
If that was true none of the in-tank fuel pumps that use locking spade power connectors would work. Not sure where you heard the claim about the O2 sensors, but unless the oil has attracted so much dirt and grime as to compromise the electrical connection I call BS.
Click on this link and scroll down to the second paragraph in the How It Works section.

What the Home Mechanic Needs to Know about O2 Sensors

The following users liked this post:
Mskembo (05-21-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Three Wheeling

holy crap! breathes between the wire and it's insulation? that is hard to believe.....

Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM
Three Wheeling

actually I cut the top off a bosch sensor to see what was inside. right under where the wires pass thru the cap, the insulation is removed and the wires are connected to solid wires. anyway I think what actually happens is the sensor depends on O2 getting around the gap between the wire's insulation and the feed thru rubber "gasket". it does not depend on O2 getting between the wires' insulation and the wire

Old 05-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Oil on oxy sensor DOES IN FACT, screw up oxy sensor.

Originally Posted by dougn
I had valve cover gasketS temporarily leak oil to some degree, at one point, with a bit of oil going down onto the oxy sensor, which threw up fault codes repeatedly, for oxy sensor problem. I corrected the valve cover leaks, and bought a can of spray engine cleaner, and sprayed the hell out of that whole oxy sensor area, including the oxy sensors; let it all dry, before starting again. PROBLEM SOLVED. Now have hundreds of miles without another oxy sensor fault code or any other problem. WORKED FOR ME.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by earlyrover
I had valve cover gasketS temporarily leak oil to some degree, at one point, with a bit of oil going down onto the oxy sensor, which threw up fault codes repeatedly, for oxy sensor problem. I corrected the valve cover leaks, and bought a can of spray engine cleaner, and sprayed the hell out of that whole oxy sensor area, including the oxy sensors; let it all dry, before starting again. PROBLEM SOLVED. Now have hundreds of miles without another oxy sensor fault code or any other problem. WORKED FOR ME.

I can believe it if oil got on to the sensor or was on the wires right where they lead into the sensor. in my case I don't see oil there. I do see it in the connector....about 10 inches away

Old 05-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default oxy sensor & oil don't mix

Originally Posted by dougn
Oxy sensors create minute voltages when heated, which are sent to one of the onboard computers, so if/when you get oil on them, the oil conducts to some degree, altering the voltage signals to the computer, throwing off fault codes.