Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannibal V8 - Anyone with experience with them

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
I think you spend a little to much time defending Cannibal; i know you must fell better about your purchase.
But i dont see how you can dought another members or members who have had issues just becuase you didnt.
If i remember it took some crazy ammount of time you get you truck back from cannibal.
I don't doubt just have not seen anything that seems to be substantiated with fact or communication to the owner.....
Most of my time has been spent supporting not defending Cannibal. But I have always indicated on Eng Options? the other companies that make these reman motors....including your favorite that is now defunct!

Cannibal was hammered by many the last couple of yrs. for mainly incorrect unjustified reasons. I have received many pms and emails on prospective D2 buyers for Cannibal replacement motors wanting info on my experience, so yes I guess I do support the company in a sense.

Steve and I initially spent a lot of time talking about my motor when I was purchasing and he is one of the few manufacturers that reached out to me to check on my motor, my maint of it and any related communication on Cannibal. In fact this week we spoke probably for over a hr or so on how his business is doing, his challenges and his goals to take it to the next level. I think of Steve now more as a friend than a guy who sold me a motor to be honest with you. He is about as down to earth as they come and really takes a personal interest in his aspiration to make his company successful and to keep Customer Sat at 110%. I mean this.

Bottomline, I like the motor I like the owner and I like evangelizing about it. It is rare to have a product these days that I do feel that way about. I am also all about/curious who what and where if there is a issue with a Cannibal. But more importantly Steve needs to know this, wants to know this.

My motor took about 2 mos from what I remember. But my delay was due mainly to the Tornadoes that destroyed OK City during my build.

David Frankel

Old 02-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by tunner1
I'm the diesel mechanic that you're trying to put down I don't care if you impressed with me or not the thing about Steve is and the only thing wrong with Steve is he fixes a lot of stuff that ain't even supposed to be there for and that slows him down he cares he does a bang up job on the motors takes time and pride and every build yeah he's a little slow but for the quality you can't beat it and yes I am the old mechanic there we never use bad blocks never used any cheap parts everything is top notch clean and beautiful and once again the only problem with Steve is he fixes a lot of stuff that that truck is not even there for so he goes above and beyond a good build so you guys can talk crap about him all you want I personally have a problem with him but it ain't got to do anything with his work or workmanship and I'm pretty sure Danny never told you will use and bad blocks I'm a ASE master technician so don't matter if I know anything about Land Rover from diesel I can work on anything so thanks
so you are the reason that those cv8's knock like a diesel?
now get back to work......people are waiting.

I am entirely joking. glad you voiced your thoughts. thanks

Old 02-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

my Cv8 took about a month, but it took SafeLite over a month to get my windshield right. So I guess all my focus was moved from the engine and SafeLite got the brunt!

I guess SafeLite was Steve's Mississippi!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cybercop
Ok, let us all collectivelly put our effort where our mouths are.

Dave and I both have cv8s. To get the "More reviews = more data= educated decision", let's figure what we should monitor, what data to gather, and let's start putting it into a post which can be captured and analyzed.

Anyone else with cv8s to add to this?

Let's get the data and put this to rest!
I prolly missed it from all the crosswinds in this thread. did you guys do what ever performance options? blackline or whatever its called? cam? stroked?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I don't get where all this talk about cv8 knocking I was there for some time I never seend one make any kind of noise.......

Old 02-06-2015, 10:34 AM
5th Gear

Yes every option you buy is there and some you don't there is not many shop that the time to balance every peace of the rotating assembly every nut and bolt is touched

Old 02-06-2015, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

so what will they stroke it to? 5.2?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:50 AM
5th Gear

I am NOT a hundred percent sure of the specs going to be real close to 5 liter to 5.2 I was not in the engine build area I was installing you have to get with Steve to get the exact spec on it I do know they run better than a stock 4.6 by far

Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 AM
5th Gear

I will say this if you want a beautiful reliable engine that run like a scolded dog call Steve if not go somewhere else lol

Old 02-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
Ok, let us all collectivelly put our effort where our mouths are.

Dave and I both have cv8s. To get the "More reviews = more data= educated decision", let's figure what we should monitor, what data to gather, and let's start putting it into a post which can be captured and analyzed.

Anyone else with cv8s to add to this?

Let's get the data and put this to rest!
amen to dat Cybercop...

Quick Reply: Cannibal V8 - Anyone with experience with them