Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannibal V8 - Anyone with experience with them

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" he is arrogant as it gets - not my style."

LOL

Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SGeorge
Dan, yes D&D is a huge custom engine fab place..I have dealt with D&D before, but if you would read my post you will notice they come with hefty price, not too mention I dont like dealing with Mark too much because he is arrogant as it gets - not my style. But yes, D&D is very good at what they do..

D&D's quote was $200 more than what Cannibal wanted. I suppose whether or not that's a big difference on a $6K purchase is subjective.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by gprtech
" he is arrogant as it gets - not my style."

LOL
Thank God someone else caught that...

Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Let's see if we can salvage something useful here. Your point about the warranty is valid although typical. Most warranty paperwork will include such clauses. Their intent is not to supply warranties for someone going to mod the engine further, race it, etc as with just about any other company. So a better question might be, has anyone heard dissatisfied customer service stories? I spent the same amount of time looking for this on other companies and Great Plains really came out on top or tied with Robinson (only $4-6K less). Please look for a future engine swap post from me as if I have any negative experiences, I will certainly post them.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, this has certainly turned out to be comical. I love it when people on the internet puff up their chests and get all self-righteous... Cracks me up...

I made my decision about who I would go with based off of what I've read on many forums, coupled with the feeling I got when I spoke to the vendors.

I've ordered my engine and am awaiting it's arrival.

I'm certain that I will post my impressions of the install and performance in a separate thread once it arrives.

Fortunately, I'm not in a pinch, as I have other vehicles to drive/ride, so it will be a while before the installation/impression thread arrives here.

I am not tied to any one of these companies, having never purchased anything from either. I'm simply a former Industrial Technology teacher, turned high school principal, who is working on a doctorate degree, so I don't have the time to perform a rebuild at the moment, or I would do it myself.

I do consider myself to be more mechanically inclined than your basic back yard mechanic having had collegiate training in Machine Tool Technology, Automotive Technology, Plastic Injection Molding, Hydraulics, Pneumatics, CNC Programming, Welding, Woodworking, Construction, Drafting, etc.

I would consider myself a Jack of All Trades, and a Master of One (a little Whodini reference from the 80's - Five Minutes of Funk)...

I have full access to a vocational school shop and all the tools to make this a relatively painless process, and I actually enjoy getting back in the shop. I have two ASE Certified instructors there to provide assistance when/if necessary.

I will say this, read the warranty on any product, you will find that the manufacturer of that product's lawyers have provided many possible loopholes through which the company can get out of replacing the product if they choose to. Ultimately it is the reputation of that company's actual actions on fulfilling that written warranty and standing behind their product that establishes my impression.

After all... Actions speak louder than words, even written ones!

Time will tell...

You can all return to your respective corners and wait for the bell that signals the start of the next round!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by SGeorge
hey wreck, errrr, senior member, your occupation is "college student" - as it states in your profile. I mean wait, errr, "SENIOR MEMBER"...

in addition, did you come up with that entire sensible/passionate quote on your own for your tag-line...

hurry along, you have some book work to do...

LOL
Ooooooh, nice jab.

Oh, heavens, I forgot it takes X amount of years to have any clue what you're doing!

I bow to your aged wisdom!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
Thank God someone else caught that...
I caught it, but it's useless to point out stuff like that to a clown that can't spell.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:35 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brand new member, first time post. I'm Mike from Great Plains Rovers. Sold a motor to a member who mentioned the forum so I got on to check it out and wanted to add my two cents.

Cannibal - good guys who do good work.
D&D - never met him but heard he knows his stuff.
gprTech - doesn't work for me.
3 year warranty - believe in what I'm selling and will stand behind it.
"sounded salesy on the phone" - first I've heard that one but I'll work on it.

The only negative I know of other than the "salesy" observation of my company is that we've struggled with timing. I agree and I'm working on it. Trying to get some motors built and on the shelf to cut down the turnaround time.

Have a good weekend and happy Rovering!
Mike

Old 05-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and it's big of you to defend your competition.

Whatever this thread may say, GPR has very good reputation from all I've read.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling

GPR is my initials. :-)

Quick Reply: Cannibal V8 - Anyone with experience with them