Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannibal V8 - Anyone with experience with them

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cannibal V8 - Anyone with experience with them

Most likely need to replace my engine. I've been reading about Cannibal V8's redesign of some of the known weaker components in the Rover V8...

CANNiBALV8

I've read some negative things about CarCannibal...

Land Rover Discovery II Used Engine Auto Parts : Rover Body Parts

which is where I linked to Cannibal V8. Supposedly they are two separate companies.

Before I part with over $5000 for a remanufactured motor, I'd like to hear from anyone who has purchased a motor from them about your experience.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you might want to compare with this company they have sold a few on this site in the last year and they come with a 3-year 36000 warrenty;
Land Rover Engine Remanufactured 4 6 Long Block w Flanged Cylinder Liners | eBay

Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

drowssap,

Thanks for that. Had a nice conversation with Mike from Great Plains Rovers today. He is going to work up a build sheet for me to review. Seems like a really nice guy and offers double the warranty of Cannibal V8. I might end up going with them on this...

Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i would go with great plains any day over cannibal. i have heard horror stories about cannibal.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Baja

there isnt much more you could ask for from GP, they use flaned liners, ARP head studs, give you a cam and and 3-year 36000 miles. what more could you ask, for other than they sell it $2k cheaper

Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't speak for their engines, but I have bought a few parts from them. Ryan and Steven have always been courteous when I've gone over and had fair prices on things.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I just spoke to both companies in the last two days and the prices quoted were within $200 of each other. What am I missing? Please expound on the horror stories, what are the problems with the CannibalV8. The reason I ask is the shop my truck is sitting at is a "partner" with them and so before I go pissing them off by possibly sending them an engine from another company, I'd just like a bit more info.
Thanks!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If your trusted indy mechanic is behind them and there is no large price difference then go with the indy plan. I'd point out the following:

1. HG installs fail early if part of gasket folded over, or heads were not checked for flatness, or machined improperly (Bubba and the belt sander). The heads have a limit as to how much material can be removed, so the machine shop might not be able to correct a problem. The spec is attached. So you might need head gaskets and some new or recycled heads. The flatness spec is .002 inch, or about 1/2 the thickness of printer paper.

2. Most Rovers are in the boneyard because of overheating, so a used engine which might be $200 will likely need HG as a minimum, and liners may still slip or need to be pinned. With the overheating you have suffered you may want to have your liners pinned anyway. Review https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ictures-56419/ for what is involved.

3. The kind of money this will cost (replace engine) is on the order of what you could pay for a used Discovery. Hopefully you just nead a good HG job. And a new 180F thermostat, your existing stat may have or get trash in it from all the work.

4. The block pressure test is performed with the heads off, and uses shop air pressure. This is to detect cracks in the block. And avoid rebuilding a block with problems.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
head resurface.pdf (133.4 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-02-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Baja

I'll stick with Great Plains Rover, they do all the same stuff with a 3-years 36-month guarntee and they dont have any horror stories

Last edited by drowssap; 03-19-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Search this forum...there is a link to a local news clip about Cannibal selling off people's rides who sent them in for engine work. That was a while ago though (like early 00's) and haven't heard much negativity since. I researched them, D&D Fab, Great Plains and JE Robinson for about 3 months including website reviews and several phone conversations with each. In the end I went with Great Plains (engine due 18 Apr). I'll be happy to expound if you wish on why I chose Great Plains. If you can wait, I'll be able to give you first-hand info/pics of their product and how the install went.

Quick Reply: Cannibal V8 - Anyone with experience with them