Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get my car to go through emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:15 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get my car to go through emissions

Hello fellow Land Rover enthusiasts, I just purchased a 2000 Land Rover Disco II off my pops because he cannot get the car to go through emissions and he's given up, so I guess you can say one mans trash is another mans treasure. "I hope".

I just recently took my Disco. to a mechanic for him to read the codes to me and I'm getting:

P1172
P1175
P1884
P1590

I was told that the 1st two had something to do with the Mass air sensor, does anyone else agree? I just don't want to go out and buy parts and change it and find out thats not the problem. Can someone help? The vehicle used to pass emissions without a problem until recently my dad took the Disco to his buddies shop for repairs because water was getting into the engine. The "so called buddy" screwed up his car to the point of where the car was not drivable, we had to goto the shop and tow the car home and started repairing the engine on our own. We got the head of the car machined plus spending hundreds of dollars on seals and gaskets. Car seems to drive ok now, but I cannot get it to pass emissions and the tag is expired. i don't want to get pulled over. Please help!!!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P1590 Rough Road Signal Implausible (Drive Cycle A) Signal Implausible P1884 CAN Message MD_REIB Invalid (FFh)

Those are ABS modulator related if I recall, same ones I have now. You shouldnt fail emissions for that but I don't know your state. Are your ABS, downhill, TC and/or brake lights on?

As for the other two, I dont have the code descriptions at the momment but a quick search says they are both mass airflow sensor related.

Start free and simple first:
Check the plug on the MAF, check the wiring back for jinks, cuts frays etc.
Remove it from where it meets the airbox and with a flashlight look at the drop down metal pin in the MAF, is it oily, have something jammed on it, corroded, snapped or even missing?

if you have an OBD2 scanner or have access to one see what kind of data its reporting while the engine is idling and at speed..

if its already dead, give it a light spray of MAF cleaner under very low pressure. People here warn against it but ive never seen it cause a problem if used lightly on any vehicle. but like i said, if its already dead, wtf not lol.

if all else fails, swap in someone elses MAF if you can, reset the codes and see if it goes away. then you know for sure if its the MAF or the wiring.

Then, get a new one if thats the case and problem should be solved.

As for the other codes, search "three amigos"

Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM
5th Gear

I Live in TN, I don't think the abs has anything to do with the emissions, Can I borrow your MAF sensor? haha jp. I'll try what you just told me and see what the outcome is. I'll let you know. Thank you so much for replying man. I appreciate it.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

np goodluck

Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A few questions first:
Do you have the readouts from the failed emissions attempts? How far and over what limits do you have?
Also, how many miles does she have? Anything else sketchy on it like a loss of coolant, loss of oil, etc?
First off, I'm assuming all the basics have been addressed: New air filter, plugs, fuel system cleaning.... even maybe a Seafoam intake+engine+fuel cleaning.
Also, not that I believe in stuff like this but it worked for my friend's previous-cop-car 10 year old Crown Vic he bought. And heck... if it doesn't work it didn't cost you anything.
Amazon.com: CRC 05063 Guaranteed To Pass Emissions Test Formula - 12 Fl Oz.: Automotive

Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I use that CRC 05063 the day before inspection, I cant say for sure it works.
I can say I have never had anything fail for emission since I started using it about 5-years ago.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The 1590 is an ABS fault code, the 1172 and 1175 are for rich run on both banks and the 1884 is there because of the rich codes.
My money is on a failing MAF. When replacing it go to British Parts of Utah for the best price, don't go after market or generic they won't work in your Disco.
As for the 1590, most likely you will need to fix the ABS issue, if you need help, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:32 PM
5th Gear

I took the rear wheels off the SUV yesterday and found out the both the spindles were leaking, I took a part both the spindles and changed the O rings and hopefully it stops the leak. I took a look at the rear abs and noticed on the left side, one of the O rings were missing where the abs seats on the spindle. How much damage could happen if oil leaks and gets into that? Anyone know how to probably test the abs wire thingy that connects to the spindle by using a Volt Meter?

I was just going to order an aftermarket MAF off EBAy and I guess that's a bad idea from your personal experience right? Thanks a lot for the info, I went on the website and I seen two MAF sensors one for 145, and one for 205.. whats the difference?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Joizen
I was just going to order an aftermarket MAF off EBAy and I guess that's a bad idea from your personal experience right? Thanks a lot for the info, I went on the website and I seen two MAF sensors one for 145, and one for 205.. whats the difference?
Yes, very bad idea...I don't know the difference of what you are typing about, but if it does not say Bosch or Geniune Land Rover on the box, it will not work.

This is propably one of only a handful of LR parts that you DO NOT GO CHEAP WITH. Original part only.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM
5th Gear

I just called the British Parts of Utah and they are not picking up, an automated voicemail comes up saying welcome to mobile connections blah blah blah... is this a scam? "Disco Mike"???