Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get a warranty for my Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a typical rover. mine ticks a little. seems to be related to needing to change the oil. you may find that changing to 15w40 quiets it down. mine also makes the clunk noise when you get off the throttle and then back on again. I don't think it is anything to worry about. I would keep it. I love driving my land rover. It is not my daily driver, but I still drive it a lot and it has never left me stranded. for the money I don't think you can get a better vehicle.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Pik
Three Wheeling

Thats encouraging to hear Wilson; thanks for the input.

In truth I have only had the Disco three weeks and already love it. Maybe I will take some $ in lieu of a warranty from the dealer or let them try and honor the warranty they promised.

Going to have to make my mind up soon.

Andy

Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default are you kidding ?

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
sounds like a typical rover. mine ticks a little. seems to be related to needing to change the oil. you may find that changing to 15w40 quiets it down. mine also makes the clunk noise when you get off the throttle and then back on again. I don't think it is anything to worry about. I would keep it. I love driving my land rover. It is not my daily driver, but I still drive it a lot and it has never left me stranded. for the money I don't think you can get a better vehicle.
In what world do you test drive a Land Rover and the salesman tells you. " wait till you hear a healthy clunk"... Its part of the experience... Well, it's not..Its delusion and living in denial. These truck's where $42,000.00 new...If you buy one 5 years later and they are $7,000.00 .... , I hate to bear the bad news, but the original owner knows it is now a pile of Sh$t.... It need's a complete overhaul.. And if you don't, you are on borrowed time. And for the money there are allot more reliable cars and trucks out there than a Land or Range Rover. Worry, You better worry plenty...

Old 05-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vandev
In what world do you test drive a Land Rover and the salesman tells you. " wait till you hear a healthy clunk"... Its part of the experience... Well, it's not..Its delusion and living in denial. These truck's where $42,000.00 new...If you buy one 5 years later and they are $7,000.00 .... , I hate to bear the bad news, but the original owner knows it is now a pile of Sh$t.... It need's a complete overhaul.. And if you don't, you are on borrowed time. And for the money there are allot more reliable cars and trucks out there than a Land or Range Rover. Worry, You better worry plenty...
Well said!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Rock Crawling

I did not say that a Disco is the most reliable car you could get for the money. Of course there are many more reliable vehicles, most of which are much much simpler machines. Most vehicles are designed to go down the road, not drive up the side of a mountain. This means more upkeep. Land Rovers are expensive to own but so is any vehicle that does something that other vehicles can't do. As inexpensive as Discoveries can be purchased, I just don't feel that it is a bad trade off do have to do more upkeep. It doesn't make them a piece of junk any more than a Ferrari or the space shuttle is a piece of junk. ; -)

Old 05-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
the space shuttle is a piece of junk
while I appreciate and agree with your response...I wanted to point out the above and nominate this for a "Post of the year" award....

You are CORRECT!...It is a piece of JUNK...lol

Old 05-20-2012, 03:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I've heard plenty of stories of Disco owners just living with the tick. That said I love my Discovery but it is hard not to admit it's faults. They are quite capable, but when you have to start repairing things and you learn how some things were designed, it's hard not to say, "well that's stupid".

Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 AM
6th Gear

That noise when you get on and off the gas can be your front driveshaft going bad. I would def. check that, that is what mine did and I just rebuild it and one of the U-joints was ready to explode/shatter/fall out. My Rover had a ton of issues also, but with TLC they are great, and easy to work on for the most part.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

see Propshaft Rebuild - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum for shaft rebuild info. This is a failure without warning punch a hole in the transmission problem. As dealer transmission is about $7,000 and you have no warranty from per-owned dealer, proceed with extreme caution. Would advise no drive truck until checked out. Perhaps you can get pre-owned dealer to pay for parts only at same dollars he charged for warranty. So if he charged you $600, maybe $60 of parts that you select from vendors you select.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:23 PM
4wd Low

Take it back if you do not want to put money into it every year. You are very lucky having the ability to take back, I am sure there are a lot of Disco newbie buyers wishing they had that option.

Only other option I might do is offer this guy a 1,000. dollars and do not go above 1,500.00. There are so many Disco out there that people have stuck fortunes in due to they needed someone to do the repairs, I just picked up another Disco 2 with 115,000 miles on that this guy had over 8,000 in repairs in for 2,500.00.

Quick Reply: Can't get a warranty for my Disco II