Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carnage pics - Car wash mishap - NOT for the faint of heart!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Rover. It's obvious it was a beautiful truck before this incident.

At least if the manager was going to try and come up with a way to blame the truck he could think of something better than engine surging. Anybody ask the attendant driving it why he didn't hit the brake when he felt the engine surge? These are not powerful enough vehicles that they are going to over power the brakes. I would have said wet brake or brake failure if I Knew I was in the wrong, not something stupid like engine surge.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man thats hurts to see. I feel your pain. Looking at the damage and what was hit, I dont think I would throw the towel in on it yet. Even if te insurance company totals it, you could buy it from them for a small cost and turn it into a wheeler. I am sure the frame and front end is straight. Just some new/used panels,radiator, and grill assembly. never know

Old 10-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Three Wheeling

I am sooooo pissed for you, that you don't even have to be mad.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. No insurance company is going to invest in the repairs as they'll be far more than the trucks value (from an insurance perspective), If your state allows it, ask what would be the cost to buy it back from the insurance company so you have a great parts truck for your next Disco. The buyback is usually pennies on the dollar.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Sorry to hear about your Rover. It's obvious it was a beautiful truck before this incident.

At least if the manager was going to try and come up with a way to blame the truck he could think of something better than engine surging. Anybody ask the attendant driving it why he didn't hit the brake when he felt the engine surge? These are not powerful enough vehicles that they are going to over power the brakes. I would have said wet brake or brake failure if I Knew I was in the wrong, not something stupid like engine surge.
That is very true but keep in mind, that thing was moving pretty fast when it hit, he clearly had a lot of room to get up to speed, and I think in that time you'd be able to either pull the e brake or put it into neutral and stop. Although you never know with people these days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UApx2N1qJKw

Old 10-04-2009, 12:27 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hazletbassist89
That is very true but keep in mind, that thing was moving pretty fast when it hit, he clearly had a lot of room to get up to speed, and I think in that time you'd be able to either pull the e brake or put it into neutral and stop. Although you never know with people these days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UApx2N1qJKw
This would be true with a rational person but obviously the attendant driving nor the manager falls into that category.

I have seen that video clip before but never with that music. The music makes it even funnier.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

If that truck isn't totaled I will give you the keys to mine, same color!!

Old 10-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man I had never seen that video before, pretty funny stuff.

Here is another kinda sad/funny /stupid person story...a woman was at the automatic car wash, she was trying to enter the code into the machine, he window was broken asn would not roll down so she had the door open and her head sticking out of the door.
As shew was reaching out of the car she pressed the gas pedal to the floor, the car speed forward crushing her skull between the cars door and the side of the building when the cars door hit the building.

Moral of the story...put it in park people.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as the frame is not tweaked to badly they should be able to repair it pretty easily... even if they have to cut off and install a whole new front clip... if they do decide to repair it, it should be at the cost of the carwash, they have their own insurance to cover their ******* employees, there should be no cost to you for what their company did to your vehicle... if they get lippy get an attorney...

on a side note i would have shot the dude for sure

Old 10-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the support everyone.

I'm in this funny place now - part of me wants it to be repaired with the hopes of a complete repair and NO lingering problems as a result of this little incident...

However, the logical side of me knows the vehicle will never be what it was, will likely be plagued with recurrent issues, and will never have the resale value it did... all as a result of the mishap.

I think the best outcome is for the vehicle to be totaled and for us to get all of our money out of it... However, if I was a betting man, I would say this is where the insurance company and myself will start to have some issues as we all know the last thing they want to do is pay...

We'll see. I should have some info from the body shop by the middle of the week - I will update the post as more info becomes available.

Spread the word everyone - Gas is on the right, Brake is on the left... Amazing how understanding something so simple could have prevented this "minor inconvenience"... Still glad nobody was hurt...

Just found the original before/after pics with the OME kit... guess the wheels in the after pic were not as dirty as I had thought.

Before:

After:

Quick Reply: Carnage pics - Car wash mishap - NOT for the faint of heart!!!!