Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carnage pics - Car wash mishap - NOT for the faint of heart!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given that it is a 2004, I'd say it is borderline fixeable. Keep in mind that these a made very strong and meant for roadless jungle driving. So mechanically I wouldn't be worried. As long as they replace the panels with perfect ones and you are given a month or so to see if any aftermath will take place, I'd accept a rebuild. Unless...you can get more than what you paids for it.....

Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The car wash should have insurance to cover the damage to the Disco and pay for a rental car too. They will have a deductible that will limit their out of pocket expense. The insurance will include a rental car in the claim, so if you need a car get one.

As far as your Disco, my guess is it will total out as you have major structural damage to the front end. Hate to see such a clean one go to the salvage yard...

Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a tragedy. that thing looked clean too... may she RIP.

who knows, maybe it's fated for you to find an even better vehicle. best of luck.

I would agree with previous responders that the Disco is totaled

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Initial authorized estimate - $10,500.00.

They want to repair it.

Luckily it was essentially all cosmetic, believe it or not. Of course stuff like the radiator took a hit, but the engine bay had no intrusion and the frame had essentially no damage.

It will be nice to get my Disco back, but I am very curious to see how they respond to my concerns regarding vehicle depreciation from the damage. Granted, it is mostly cosmetic, but if I go to sell this thing and the buyer has it inspected, it will look as if the entire front end was rebuilt like it was in a head-on collision...

We purchased it from a Rover enthusiast dealer in Pompano Fl three months ago for ~$15k out the door... What would be an appropriate cash adjustment on their part to compensate for the depreciation they caused?

Any ideas? If inappropriate for posted responses, please feel free to PM me.

Many thanks.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Find out what the resale value is before the accident and after, the difference should be your settlement amount I would think.
Plus your insurance deductible if you have one and the cost of a rental for this whole time.
The good news is that since they are going to fix it it is worth more than $11,000.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take the $10.5k and buy another one.

sell yours for a few $k to a parts dealer.

cant believe you paid $15k for it. :|

Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Mudding

OK after looking at the pics again, sober, it does not appear that there is any frame damage. First time I looked I thought the driver door was "askew." If the frame is ok, get them to repair it and you will be ok. Youl'll get a new radiator and some sheetmetal and good to go.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are no known surging issues with rovers, in fact I think it's the complete opposite. However I have done plenty of body work on my vehicles and customers cars, I can tell you that your talking at least $500 in body parts, not to mention all the lights are probably another $300, grills prob $150, new bumper, bumper ends trim lights etc, $400, Bonnet sticker $50 bucks. Rule of thumb for paint in NY is $200 a Fender So on average We get like $800 to $1200 for a good paint job, Of curse we have our Macao's but you won't want one of those. Then comes the fun part straightening and aligning it, I couldn't see underneath or in the engine cavity to see the damage. Maybe $1500 to $2000 in labor. Its like $4800 for all the repairs is my guess for the body work. However If you have more problems that subject to change. Like engine parts, tie rods, etc .. you get my drift. Insurance may total it but, In truth I've fixed worse then that for the fun of it. If they do, my recommendation is parts are cheap at roverland, make a project out of it. It may be fun, and a chance to hewn your skills. Good Luck, And i would have probably knocked the manager out, your a better man than me.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=VFib-911;143165]Initial authorized estimate - $10,500.00.

They want to repair it.

Luckily it was essentially all cosmetic, believe it or not.

Told Ya!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've bought and re-done a lot of rebuilders (crashed vehicles). Also used to work at a body shop when I was in college. In my opinion, in the hands of a good, competent bodyshop, your vehicle should be as good as before if they don't cut any corners and replace all the damaged items. And it sounds like you've chosen a good shop. It might be better if they spend more attention to panel alignment than Rover did. And white is a pretty good color to match. So, when you get it back you will have new paint on the front, new lights, grille and all the rest. I wouldn't worry about the engine sensors or any of that. It wasn't crashed THAT hard.

Disco pedals are positioned slightly different than most domestics. They are a bit closer together. I notice it in mine when I wear my work boots. I'm sure you are right that the kid hit the accelerator blamed it on surging. I don't let flunkies get in my vehicles. Kinda like the time my wife (then girlfriend) had her oil changed and there was a trail of oil from under the car to the shop afterwards when they backed it up. She alerted them and they tried convincing her it was normal, wouldn't investigate. Much to her credit, she refuse to go anywhere or pay them until they pushed it back in and put it on the hoist. They finally did and found that the old oil filter gasket was still on. There are a lot of boneheads out there. Sorry you ran into one. Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Carnage pics - Car wash mishap - NOT for the faint of heart!!!!