Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Castor Correct Radius Arms vs. New Bushes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I just installed RTE 3° corrected arms. The highway steering is night and day. Feels like stock now above 60 mph. The correction did effect the pinion angle of the front diff, so I now have vibrations from the Lucky 8 drive shaft. A HD drive shaft from GBR should arrive tomorrow, and I believe will cure the vibrations. Should be smooth sailing on road trips now!

Old 04-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

FYI... I took my Terrafirma arms and Allmakes standard bushings to my shop, and he said the 4 bushings from arm to axle are not going to fit. He said they might fit if he chamfers the bushing, but is not optimistic. I think I agree with him.

I put in an inquiry to Terrafirma to figure out what to do. Maybe they are meant for poly's.. but I can't see the size being different. If anyone has any ideas let me know

Old 04-12-2017, 02:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
FYI... I took my Terrafirma arms and Allmakes standard bushings to my shop, and he said the 4 bushings from arm to axle are not going to fit. He said they might fit if he chamfers the bushing, but is not optimistic. I think I agree with him.

I put in an inquiry to Terrafirma to figure out what to do. Maybe they are meant for poly's.. but I can't see the size being different. If anyone has any ideas let me know
I think the TF arms do require poly bush; there is a thread. You can call Lucky8 & they will confirm. I remember seeing the bright orange bush Lucky8 installs to these arms before shipping them out.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

TF arms are supposed to take either. I had standard bushings in mine.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
TF arms are supposed to take either. I had standard bushings in mine.
Thats what I thought. How did you get the bushings in? Genuine or? The axle side bushes are a good 2-4 mm wider all around.. i.e. 4-6 mm wider in diameter. If I put them in a press they'd just squish and shatter the bush...

i might try the britpart poly set for about 65 bucks, they may be worse than rubber, but that's one less thing I have to depend on a shop for. I've practically rebuilt the whole car at this point and only needed a machinist (top hats, valve job), and a tire shop to mount tires.

why terrafirma doesn't put bushes in these like they do all their other components is annoying.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 04-12-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I went with poly in my RTE arms because RTE called and said the oe bushings they ordered wouldn't fit either. Maybe there was a bad batch put out recently. They said the oe bushes were too large to press in. They had poly in stock and I didn't want to wait. So far, I'm really pleased with the poly.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

waaay back when I used replace a lot of track arm bushings in our heavy equipment, we had a "socket" style tool that you use with the press. You pressed the new bushing down through, and the socket would squeeze/choke the bushing and allow it to slide (with wd40 lube) into the arm. Otherwise you would NEVER get a rubber bushing to press into something, or you would die trying??

Old 04-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Thats what I thought. How did you get the bushings in? Genuine or? The axle side bushes are a good 2-4 mm wider all around.. i.e. 4-6 mm wider in diameter. If I put them in a press they'd just squish and shatter the bush...

i might try the britpart poly set for about 65 bucks, they may be worse than rubber, but that's one less thing I have to depend on a shop for. I've practically rebuilt the whole car at this point and only needed a machinist (top hats, valve job), and a tire shop to mount tires.

why terrafirma doesn't put bushes in these like they do all their other components is annoying.
I put genuine bushings in mine, wasn't an issue at the time, but that was around 4 years ago