Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat Converter Stolen on Disco II - Need Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Unless you're in California, you can either get a pair of universals installed, or order a complete Y-pipe.

Some folks have had good results using the eBay version that goes for a bit under $400, or partsgeek.com has a Bosal for around the same price point. That said, I've heard mixed reviews on the Bosal part.

If you're in California, and the border to another state isn't too far, pick up some flexible exhaust pipe at AutoZone or somewhere, and get it fixed out of state.

If you want to avoid SES lights while the cats are missing, you can bore out and install spark plug non foulers inline with your rear O2 sensors to trick them into thinking the cat efficiency is nominal. Details here: $5 o2 cheater/non fouler how-to - evolutionm.net

Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Can anyone recommend a Y-pipe that is roughly as good as what I had in terms of both sound and, more importantly, emissions? I am not in California, but wouldn't you know, I need to have my vehicle emissions tested in the next month and a half.

Also, would anyone know what an OEM genuine cat costs? Wondering how this place even got up to $2600 and got an auditor to sign off.

Last edited by ZMonet; 01-08-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Actually, that's pretty close to what the OEM part costs retail.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMonet
Thanks everyone. Can anyone recommend a Y-pipe that is roughly as good as what I had in terms of both sound and, more importantly, emissions? I am not in California, but wouldn't you know, I need to have my vehicle emissions tested in the next month and a half.

Also, would anyone know what an OEM genuine cat costs? Wondering how this place even got up to $2600 and got an auditor to sign off.
Anything will work fine. OEM. Aftermarket bolt in. After market weld in. There is a guy on one of the forums that posted he was using fake cats that looked like real cats on his d1 and he still passed the sniffer, barely.

Here is how much OEM costs:
Land Rover Parts - Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories

DOWNPIPE ASSY w/CATALYST DISCOVERY II, RNH109, WCD000443 - Land Rover Parts | Rovers North

Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

That's not OEM, that's genuine.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
That's not OEM, that's genuine.
Same thing in this case. Genuine is ALWAYS OEM..... OEM might not be genuine, it could be white box, or in the box of the manufacturer.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Right, if it's genuine it's OEM, but if it's OEM it's almost never genuine. So when someone says this is an OEM part, it's almost never Genuine.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Camel Trophy

I guess I should have worded my first response differently, it IS genuine and it IS OEM.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, I guess that is how they get to near $3000. Do you think their angle is that they say they need to order the Genuine OEM part @$2400 and then install an aftermarket? I'm just not sure what is in it for them otherwise. @$1500 they were still making quite a bit.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to have the LR towed from there tomorrow. I know they are going to be pissed at me, but I can't trust them at this point. Hopefully they don't do anything to the SUV in between my letting them know and the tow, or say I'm obligated to pay storage, return fees, etc (I didn't sign anything and always told them not to go ahead until my insurance company authorized -- which technically still hasn't happened). Why does it seem like everyone wants to put their hand in your pocket and take the pocket too!

Quick Reply: Cat Converter Stolen on Disco II - Need Replacement