Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter replacement and cause?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter replacement and cause?

Gentlemen-

First, I need to thank Mike for his great help. Sir, thank you.

Secondly, I have had the engine shuttering and stutering, poor acceleration, strugling starts in the morning or extreme hot or cold weather, a general bogged down feeling to the vehicle and the check engine light on. I am told that I have "packed cats", believing this is true is it better to purchase the "y-pipe" or the individual cats? At this repair I am also going to replace both O2 sensors, but I am unsure what causes cats to become "packed".

After treating the result, how can I solve the root cause? What is the root cause?

Any recomendations on where to get the parts?

Thanks.

P

Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Catalytic converter replacement and cause?

I also had the drive shaft replaced and could not shift from "H" to "L". After some serious pushing I was able to shift it into "N", but for fear of not being able to shift back to "H" I pulled it back down. Any input?

Thanks again, Patrick.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Rock Crawling

I think the root cause is the Rover motor runs too rich a mixture at times or maybe doesn't burn it's fuel mixture as throughly as it should. The easiest long term fix seems to be to go with getting some hi-flow cats welded in. Also a lot cheaper than the OEM ones!

There was a thread on aftermarket cats that okdiscoguy had done on his, I was looking for it but can't seem to find it. I'm sure they were Magna flow cats.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got mine done for $325. find a dealer on their site and ask them to give you a quote locally. Lifetime warranty and a lot cheaper than a new Y. You get a little growl and a big boost in my case case mine were plugged. Check it out....

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/s...;cat=Discovery

edit....oh, and check your state laws, most cats are warranteed for 8 years or 80K.might get the dealer to repalce them....

Old 07-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Overlanding

Depending on where you live,you can purchase aftermarketcatalytic converters and have them welded, if youre not a welder, this can be costly because you have the cats + the welding.Either way you pay for the stuff to fit.If you live in california (like me) you have to replace it with land rover ycats. What I did is bought a re-conditioned land rover ycat assembly for $800.00 and installed it myself. The reconditioned ycats are flushed out using high pressure water to clear them Mine has worked out great and it also passed emissions. If you want the recon, contact CONVERTER GEEK on the internet.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:21 AM
Rock Crawling

You learn something new every day! I've never heard of washing your cats out?! I wonder how long it takes to bake out all the water? They must stick them in some sort of oven afterwards? I'm going with the same set up as okdiscoguy as soon as I can get around to it. There's a Mustang shop right down the road from me that quoted ~$150 labor to weld them in plus cost of cats, so I'm looking at about $350 also for the job.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

P,
What year and mileage is yor truck?
Mike

Old 08-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Overlanding

2000 Disco II. About 127k miles.

P

Old 08-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I would suggest you replace all 4 02 sensors, clear the codes, run a bottle of SeaFoam the the fuel tank and then back to me to let me know how it is running and if you are going to go further. Leave the cats along till the other suff is done.
Mike

Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Washing is usually effective. I'll probably switch to high-flow style when I put a new system on but I'm probably going to do headers-back. I'm just picky that way though. Still need to decide if I'm going to bite the bullet and do the diesel conversion or put in an RPI engine though. 218BHP is just not enough Plus a nice painted built engine is pretty, leaks less, and much easier to clean. I really wish they'd think about corrosion when building a Rover.