Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD player problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CD player problem

I recently spent a good deal of time cleaning up my old truck, including the replacement of an after-market radio with the original OEM setup. I was surprised that it worked as well as it did as soon as it was put into the dashboard and pleased with quality of the sound from the old set. There's no Bluetooth or navigation of course, but my daily driver has enough of those bells and whistles to keep me happy.

After a couple of weeks, however, the CD changer suddenly stopped working. Loaded with six discs, it worked well through four of them, then failed to load the next available. Now all it get from the set is "NO DISC", regardless of how many discs might be the caddy. There's just no response.

When the disc caddy is inserted it sounds like it means business, but still "NO DISC".

If anyone out there has an idea of what might cause this, I'd love to hear it. Any suggestion of a fix will be greatly appreciated.

As always, any assistance will be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:02 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Mine does this fairly often. Ejecting the caddy and reinserting it would fix it for a while, but it would always come back.
I ended up picking up a GROM unit so I could connect a hard-drive based media player, which works fine. You do lose the ability to play CDs though.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve517
I recently spent a good deal of time cleaning up my old truck, including the replacement of an after-market radio with the original OEM setup. I was surprised that it worked as well as it did as soon as it was put into the dashboard and pleased with quality of the sound from the old set. There's no Bluetooth or navigation of course, but my daily driver has enough of those bells and whistles to keep me happy.

After a couple of weeks, however, the CD changer suddenly stopped working. Loaded with six discs, it worked well through four of them, then failed to load the next available. Now all it get from the set is "NO DISC", regardless of how many discs might be the caddy. There's just no response.

When the disc caddy is inserted it sounds like it means business, but still "NO DISC".

If anyone out there has an idea of what might cause this, I'd love to hear it. Any suggestion of a fix will be greatly appreciated.

As always, any assistance will be appreciated.
I get the same results. NO CD. And when you look to replace the unit, your'e paying way too much for the old technology.

Time to fish a GROM wire through there.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Winter
I get the same results. NO CD. And when you look to replace the unit, your'e paying way too much for the old technology.

Time to fish a GROM wire through there.

This is a simple fix usually. Remove the top cover of the CD changer. You will see the arm that grabs the CD from the magazine. It's usually got some grease on it & over time the grease attracts dust/dirt/lint and it prevents it from moving properly back & forth. If it doesn't fully rack back & forth it will say No CD. I suggest cleaning it, and then lightly lubing it. Once it can move freely you should be good to go.

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
lmalbright (08-05-2017), Steve517 (08-04-2017)