Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cdl vs traction control

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah TC going off is only for prior to 04 models.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol prolly not interested but funny that llucky8 just posted this on facebook today after this subject kinda came up

Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Winching

Just had a conversation with my indy mechanic about this the other day. He installed a switch to turn off the TC (by cutting power to the fuse). He said that if you lock the transfer case, but still have the TC engaged, they can work against each other and blow up your transfer case. Hopefully I'm not oversimplifying this, but that is how I understood what he was talking about. Is this correct?

He also showed me a "petrol" Disco 2 that he converted to the TD5 diesel. He swapped the transmission to a 5 speed manual, and re-wired the entire truck. Pretty awesome. I know some people have wondered if it could be done, and I have now seen it!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Camel Trophy

bahahahah blow up your transfer case. Think of it like a jail cell.

There's a dude in the jail cell that's locked in and can't get out
There's 2 people outside the cell, one is beating the other up.

How is the guy in the cell going to stop the beating? He's PHYSICALLY(mechanically) locked in the cell. He could tell them(traction control) but does not have physical control.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
bahahahah blow up your transfer case. Think of it like a jail cell.

There's a dude in the jail cell that's locked in and can't get out
There's 2 people outside the cell, one is beating the other up.

How is the guy in the cell going to stop the beating? He's PHYSICALLY(mechanically) locked in the cell. He could tell them(traction control) but does not have physical control.
Hm. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the TC used the ABS system at times and therefore working against the transfer case if locked. Why would he create a switch to disable it? Are there any benefits?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Talk to DiscoMike about it. I believe he's been locked for a long time, and I think he mentioned he prefers TC off because it offroads better or something. If your mechanic is talking about the brakes roasting the t-case he's nuts.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

With the CDL locked the traction control would be able to send power from wheel to wheel on the same axle but not propshaft to propshaft because the CDL sends equal power front and rear.
With the CDL open then the TC can effectively stop both wheels on one axle from turning thus sending all the power to the other axle.
The power follows the path of least resistance.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bballjames
Just had a conversation with my indy mechanic about this the other day. He installed a switch to turn off the TC (by cutting power to the fuse). He said that if you lock the transfer case, but still have the TC engaged, they can work against each other and blow up your transfer case. Hopefully I'm not oversimplifying this, but that is how I understood what he was talking about. Is this correct?

He also showed me a "petrol" Disco 2 that he converted to the TD5 diesel. He swapped the transmission to a 5 speed manual, and re-wired the entire truck. Pretty awesome. I know some people have wondered if it could be done, and I have now seen it!
Ask him to explain the failure mode...sounds like BS to me, but if he is a seasoned, experienced mechanic, he will have a solid explanation to back up the statement. I'm very happy to know that I can run the TC with the diff locked, that is awesome.

As for the diesel, I was seriously considering it, but I looked closely at the regs here in Az (I actually called and talked to an ADEQ official about how to do it) and it basically amounts to a crap shoot each year at the emissions inspection, so I decided against it. The tdi300 engines are not EPA approved, and are technically illegal. There are work arounds and loop holes, but none are solid enough for me living in a county that has pretty strict requirements. A td5 may be EPA approved (in fact it is not) but would have to be newer than the vehicle it is being installed in...and then, the inspection station site documents will not recognize it, and the inspection will be a nightmare (or the inspector will Just waive it on through..you never know).

Last edited by 5bravobravo; 01-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.