Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

charcoal filter? whats that

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 06:15 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charcoal filter? whats that

Is the charcoal filter something I can replace at home? Does it have anything to do with the secondary air system? Can you explain what it does? Thanks....Sorry I sound like an airhead, I am just a girl that is forced to learn about her landrover and am very afraid to get taken by a mechanic!

Old 08-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Mudding
Default RE: charcoal filter? whats that

charcoal canister deals in the emissions dept. From what I see in my book you should be able to handle this, looks like one or two hoses ansd one nut tom loosen. what are the details of your truck year,disco I/II, etc... Also you need to get a workshop manual i got mine from atlantic british I 've heard they can be found on ebay for cheap though? this will help you w/ the mechanic problem maybe also run all problems by people on this site they have always helped me out thus saving $$$

Old 08-16-2005, 12:03 AM
3rd Gear

2003 disc. 58,000 miles 4.6l engine. I have changed the plugs and lots of gas treatment, seems to be getting worse the codes show secondary air system problems. Not sure what that means., but My mechanic says the air pump is real expensive...He wants to see it tommarrow....I am worried I will spend lots on the wrong thing...HELP

Old 08-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Rock Crawling

the charcoal filter is a part of the secondary air emission system. The first part would be to change it or have it changed. I don't know of any air pump problem as of yet. If you do have one let me know. If you have the book on your rover, it is a good thing. If you have the ability to diy then it should not be to bad to do at home. check for the price of the filter at one of the listed parts suppliers in the forum. I had the same problem at about 60k also. the charcoal filtered it. hope it helps, gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 08-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Winching

Sounds like you need to take your vehicle to a automotive technician you can trust.
My mechanic says the air pump is real expensive...He wants to see it tommarrow....I am worried I will spend lots on the wrong thing...HELP
A secondary air injection code has nothing to do with the charcoal canister.
Sorry I sound like an airhead, I am just a girl
That's no excuse ! There are many Female auto techs in the industry.
In a nutshell, secondary air injection provides extra air to the catalytic converters during the first few minutes of start up to reduce emissions.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks bait. learn something new every day. duboff

Old 09-24-2005, 04:10 AM
4wd Low

LMAO...love the air injection....all that does is dilute the airstream with outside air. It was a move on the part of auto manufacturers to lessen emmissions, by blowing outside air into the exhaust, therefore diluting the airstream through the exhaust.....what a waste of energy. First saw those on some old GMC trucks...
As far as the canister goes....that should be pretty straightforward. I just bought my Disco I today, and looked in there, saw it, and so....not that I know your engine, but if its anything like this one....its right in front of you. The carbon canister is used to filter the fuel that evaporates from the fuel tank when it is less than completely full. As we all know, the fuel vapor ignites, and when the tank gasses expand/contract, they are run through the carbon cannister to prevent fuel vapor from escaping to the atmosphere. So...if this is the problem, I am surprised, although having just bought my car, I have to delve into it more. Also, the vacuum system is generally hooked to it...hence the hissing sound when you open the gas tank lid...as it is under vacuum. The vacuum system is hooked to the carbon, which is hooked to the tank. More than likely its the hoses that feed that system that are cracked. Sorry to warble on here, but my Triumph had a similar problem, replacing the 72 vacuum hoses fixed it. If the vacuum hoses run near anything hot, then they dry out in a few years and split.
Just my 2c....
Good luck, hope to get more into this.
Ed

Old 09-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling

just make sure you didnt leave a gas cap loose before you dive into this one... it happens to the best of us