Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light after Sea Foam

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: check engine light after Sea Foam

Tricky Whu,

You do not normally clean the MAF sensor, as it is possible to damage it. However, the following procedure has in some cases eliminated a CEL coming on:

Take the MAF completely off the vehicle. Hold it horizontal, and spray through the inlet side with electrical contact cleaner (only). Then let it air dry for a few minutes and re-install it. DO NOT stick anything into it like a tooth brush or pipe cleaner, etc.

If this does not take care of your problem, I have them on my site for a fair price. The later model MAF is more reasonably priced than the early one.

regards,
geoman

www.eurotekapg.com

Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!... I'm new to this forum and I am just looking around and reading what people are talking about, just so I can collect my own information. I was reading this forum, and I got to the last reply where "TrickyWhu" refers to the MAF sensor... Now, what is a MAF sensor?

Thanks for humoring me and I look forward to many more posts and replys from Land Rover enthusiasts!

johnnybob06

Old 01-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

A MAF sensor is hooked into the fresh air intake tube between the air filter and the Throttle body and is designed to measure the air flow as well as other factors so the ECU will manage the engine properly.
Mike

Old 01-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Drifting

Mike,

Thanks again for the time you spent with me on the phone on Saturday. Your wealth of knowledge and tips are great.

I am ready to SeaFoam my 2002 Disco2 later this week or this weekend. To review, you told me to pull the vacuum line, get a length of hose, attach hose to vacuum port, let engine idle and suck in Sea Foam over a 2-3min period. Shut engine off immediately after SeaFoam has been sucked in and let sit for 30min.....correct???

Could you please identify which vacuum line I should pull?

Also, is there any reason to change the plugs after doing the SeaFoam?

Thanks again,
JeffQ

Old 01-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Drifting

Take the MAF completely off the vehicle. Hold it horizontal, and spray through the inlet side with electrical contact cleaner (only). Then let it air dry for a few minutes and re-install it. DO NOT stick anything into it like a tooth brush or pipe cleaner, etc.
Geoman, how do you get it off? I found it and was able to get the pipe loose, yet the small pipe that it is stuck into won't come loose from the rubber tube (the terms used is the extend of my mechanical knowledge). I see two screws, they have a crazy star bit type pattern. Do I need a special screw driver for it?

I sprayed electrical contact cleaner on my wife's MAF Sensor (Ford Winstar) and it fixed the boguscodes (lean, etc). Having just installed new O2 sensors on my Disco, I pray that it will fix my issue too.

Any guidance is much appreciate. Man, I love this site. The knowledge here will help me regain the trust I was had in my '01 Disco.

Scott

Old 01-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Jeff,
Give me a quick call and I'll help you find the correct port.
Mike
303-862-7680

Old 01-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Scott, Fords MAF's might take a cleaning but Rover's Bosch MAF's don't. The great % of them will fail when cleaned.
Do you have a check engine light on, what are the fault code numbers? if you don't have 2 lean fault code and a 3rd. gear shift fault don't touch your MAF cause there is nothing wrong with it.
Mike

Old 01-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Drifting

Mike,

Will do.......a bit later this week.

Thanks again.

JDQ

Old 01-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Scott, Fords MAF's might take a cleaning but Rover's Bosch MAF's don't. The great % of them will fail when cleaned.
Do you have a check engine light on, what are the fault code numbers? if you don't have 2 lean fault code and a 3rd. gear shift fault don't touch your MAF cause there is nothing wrong with it.
Mike
I have two lean codes and a 4th gear ratio code.

P0174
P0171
P0734

Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Drifting

I just had the pleasure of speaking with Disco Mike; what an asset to the LR community. You Old Timers already know this; Mike is a super guy.

For those who care, I just ordered a new MAFS & Air Filter, based on the above noted codes. Tony Cerrones said the stuff should be here by the weekend and I look forward to turning off the darn engine light.

Thanks, Mike, you are a man amongst boys. I may need to call you again.

God bless to all!

Scott

Quick Reply: check engine light after Sea Foam