Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light cant seem to cure it

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light cant seem to cure it

'03 Disco, 102,000 miles on it. have not had any issues with this vehicle and im the original owner..... heres the story

CEL light goes on after the 90k service

first the o2 sensors were replaced, a day later CEL goes back on. they reset the codes a couple times over the next 90 days as i drive it ($250), take a couple major road trips CEL goes on and off, finally take it back in

they then diagnose a misfire in cyl 1 and 6 - the wires and coils were relaced and new plugs put in. A day later CEL goes back on. ($800)

My local guy throws in the towel and i take it to Landrover. On the way the CEL flashes for 30 sec then goes solid again.

Dealer tells me the Bosch aftermarket plugs are the problems and puts in whatever the originals plugs are. the misfire codes clear. But they tell me that the aftermarket coils and ignition wires are going to cause me these problems. (But the problems started before these were put in ?) ($252)

Dealer also performs induction service and cleaned out the sluge from he throttle body. ($175)

they said the vehicle is a little sluggish and can tell me why

I drive the car for 3 days and CEL goes back on and flashes as im on the way back to the dealer.

this time they read codes
P0301
P01300
P1314

"connect fuel pressure guage road test vehicle pressure holds at 50psi return and connect vacume guage also holds steady remove all plugs and test compression cyl 6 and 5 psi lower hear slight popping sound when testing cyl 1." is what was on the reciept.

the dealer wanted to remove the valve covers and inspect cam lift and valve spring......

i opted to bring it home and see what Land Rover Forums had to say ebfore i continue this hunt.

Last edited by helpmeagain; 04-29-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never had problems with Bosch platinums. Some people have issues with the fancier plugs. I have NKG iridiums and they are fine. But I think you have ruled out wires and plugs. If you mean P1319 (never heard of 1314) I would maybe look at the cylinder 1 fuel injector. But they may be onto something with checking the valve or pushrod. Maybe the valve is not getting opened enough to allow enough fuel in.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Overlanding

Do you have ethanol in your fuel? Phase separation can happen to ethanol blended fuels when water is introduced into the fuel, most commoly at the fuel station. When this happens, intermittent check engine light can appear. Most commonly you will get a lean code. This is due to the O2's sensing too much oxygen from excessively high concentrations of ethanol being burned. some symptoms can be rough running on cool mornings with better performance once warm. Misfiring cylinders or missing cylinders due to an ethanol/water blend clogging injectors. GM has TSB's on lean codes due to phase separation. Hope this helps - I suggest check the fuel

Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Overlanding

fuel additives may help to clean out clogged fuel systems. Look for any that disperse water from fuel

Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wires are u using,when's the last time you replaced the coils

Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 PM
4wd Low

I'll try additive. The wires and coils were just changed as a step to fix it.

thank you for the feedback. any and all sugesstions are appreciated

Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I have 2001 D2 and similar problem.CEL goes on and of seemingly randomly , but I see pattern.When weather is warm an I am in the traffic my light will go on . Few starts and stops and will go off.All winter when weather was cold I didn't have CEL on.Next week I will talk with my mechanic.My guess is either my thermostat is pooped or my head gasket is toast.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you didnt answer my question!!!

what kind of wires are you using?

7mm wires wont work with bosch +4 , and if you bought STI wires... then you need to ditch those for magnecore wires instead.

wires with make you go insane on these cars

Old 04-30-2010, 07:04 AM
4wd Low

I'll check the wires and post later....but the Bosch plugs are out and the factory NGk plugs are back in.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by helpmeagain
'03 Disco, 102,000 miles on it. have not had any issues with this vehicle and im the original owner..... heres the story

CEL light goes on after the 90k service

first the o2 sensors were replaced, a day later CEL goes back on. they reset the codes a couple times over the next 90 days as i drive it ($250), take a couple major road trips CEL goes on and off, finally take it back in

they then diagnose a misfire in cyl 1 and 6 - the wires and coils were relaced and new plugs put in. A day later CEL goes back on. ($800)

My local guy throws in the towel and i take it to Landrover. On the way the CEL flashes for 30 sec then goes solid again.

Dealer tells me the Bosch aftermarket plugs are the problems and puts in whatever the originals plugs are. the misfire codes clear. But they tell me that the aftermarket coils and ignition wires are going to cause me these problems. (But the problems started before these were put in ?) ($252)

Dealer also performs induction service and cleaned out the sluge from he throttle body. ($175)

they said the vehicle is a little sluggish and can tell me why

I drive the car for 3 days and CEL goes back on and flashes as im on the way back to the dealer.

this time they read codes
P0301
P01300
P1314

"connect fuel pressure guage road test vehicle pressure holds at 50psi return and connect vacume guage also holds steady remove all plugs and test compression cyl 6 and 5 psi lower hear slight popping sound when testing cyl 1." is what was on the reciept.

the dealer wanted to remove the valve covers and inspect cam lift and valve spring......

i opted to bring it home and see what Land Rover Forums had to say ebfore i continue this hunt.
Save yourself a lot of "MONEY" and time and send me your number, I can walk you thru what to do.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light cant seem to cure it