Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking trans fluid level?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking trans fluid level?

2004 discovery. Is there any way to check transfluid level? I heard you can only have it hooked up to a machine that cycles it thru and fills it that way like a trans flush? I got mixed opinions on a trans flush being done. Is this a good idea at 90000 miles? I have only owned the truck for 10000 miles So not sure of PO service to trans if any. Should I even mess with this as a maintenance thing? Shifting a bit hard but otherwise fine. Plus when quiet in the car from a stop I can hear the fluid moving in the trans thru my shifter console area and it made me think it could be low. I never was able to hear fluid in any other vehicle but never had a rover either. Thanks for any input.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go to the write up section and there is a "how to" on changing the trans fluid and filter.
Do that, its not hard, you can buy the filter at NAPA.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I have an idea for you. That fluid you think you hear moving through the console - it could very will be bubbles in coolant moving through the heater pipes under the dash. In a D2, coolant water is always circulated through the heater core, even when AC is on. An array of dampers selects the heated air flow when you want it.

The bubbles can be air, you can purge it. They can also be exhaust gas in coolant from a starting head gasket leak.

Now for the tranny. Yes, you would want to change the tranny fluid and filter. It is time for the third scheduled change (30K intervals). There are also indy shops that run that do a flush service, but wait until you have changed fluid and filter, and drive to see if conditions improve. Attached is page from Rave on how to do the fluid check. Would advise you also change the filter, don't just swap fluid. Extra pages in RAVE for that.

You may be suffering from POOP, or Previous Owner Originated Problem. Lots of owners of these fine vehicles skip routine services, just cant afford them at dealer rates. Same for BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Please don't continue on the path of neglect the previous owner started.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 tran fill.pdf (572.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 tran pan.pdf (722.2 KB, 151 views)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info I love hearing "its easy and you can do it yourself" so far I have not encountered anything I couldn't handle myself. These rovers get a bad wrap from people that must be afraid to bust knuckles I guess. Everyone was saying don't buy it its all maintenance its all expensive. Lol I just replied what does landrover have some kind of super alien mechanics that work on them? Thanks again for the ideas I will keep you posted on the results.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Team Owner

The only thing you need the stealer for is to re-program the keyless entry if you leave the battery dead in the remote for to long.

Also get some extra keys made, the remote comes off of the key and then you can have a extra or 2 made.
Yes the DI and the DII use the same key.

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f9/keys-55303/

Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DUBLJDISCO2
2004 discovery. Is there any way to check transfluid level? I heard you can only have it hooked up to a machine that cycles it thru and fills it that way like a trans flush? I got mixed opinions on a trans flush being done. Is this a good idea at 90000 miles? I have only owned the truck for 10000 miles So not sure of PO service to trans if any. Should I even mess with this as a maintenance thing? Shifting a bit hard but otherwise fine. Plus when quiet in the car from a stop I can hear the fluid moving in the trans thru my shifter console area and it made me think it could be low. I never was able to hear fluid in any other vehicle but never had a rover either. Thanks for any input.
Sounds like you have not been maintaining your truck very well. I would suggest you go read my major service list and do it all.
If you have questions on any of it, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

rE: what does landrover have some kind of super alien mechanics that work on them?

No, just hard working guys, very well skilled in most cases. Many contribute here, which is a win-win situiation, they continue to increase their diagnostic experience, and we all benefit from current knowledge of the product. But it is a restricted distribution system ( not too many dealers ) and the modern vehicle complexity is leaning toward proprietary everything. We will get to the point that you must have the dealership computer to work on the vehicles, and the factory will control the software distribution, knocking out the owner / DIY guys and the work-twice-as-hard-for-half-as-much indy shops. Only a matter of time before you just can't service them anywhere but the dealership (and that includes a lot of other high end lines of cars).

The dealers are also pinched, they have to make more on service, because they are not making as much on the finance side of the house (their percentage from the finance of the vehicle, either direct percentages or "kick backs"). And sales volume is down.

And Jeep has announced they are building a new plant to produce diesel Jeeps. Here in the US.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And Jeep has announced they are building a new plant to produce diesel Jeeps. Here in the US.
And if they offer a diesel Wrangler...