Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chevy 4.3 v6 into d2? **Just thinking**

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given any thought as to how you will adapt the bell housing?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Three Wheeling

IMHO it wouldn't be worth keeping the Rover tranny and t-case. It would be easier (and probably cheaper) in the long run to put an entire chevy drive train under the rover. A fuel injected 350 mated to either a 700R4 automatic, or a NV3550 manual would make for a pretty bomb proof setup. I would also look into mating a built NV241 T-case to the transmission as well. Although its not a gear driven t-case, it is pretty stout, and still offers full time 4wd capability.

While I'm unsure exactly how strong the stock rover axles are, I have heard them compared to a Dana 30ish in strength. If thats the case, the stock axles should get you by fine unless you're running a pretty stout 350. A good locker, and a set of HD chrome axle shafts would take care of any axle strength concerns though.

These are all proven components, and would negate the need to try and bubba rig the Rovers engine and transmission controls to work with non Rover components.

For simplicities sake, I think it would be best to do the swap on a late model D1, or an earlier D2 S model. There's less bells and whistles to deal with, and the affordability of the rigs would help keep costs down.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Fireman
Given any thought as to how you will adapt the bell housing?
And that is the key. There was a guy in Australia selling adapter for GM motors. Something like $800 if I remember correctly. Way to much.

I thought about trying to fit in a 5.0L or 5.7L Buick motor for the same reason you mentioned. All the brains and sensors SHOULD bolt on to Buick metal. It started life as a Buick 215 after all. I just don't know how readily available the old Buick motors parts are now. But if you can't bolt up to the transmission, it gets more complicated and expensive.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Mudding

Well to put it simply... I wanted to keep the rover traction control and HDC. I dont know why really... lockers would do the same I suppose. Really I just was thinking about starting with one component. Ebay has used chevy engines for $500 all day long. A whole drive line and axles etc would be a whole lot more. I trust my rover parts I just dont trust the engine. That is why I was just focusing on the engine. Id be a lot happier with my rover if it had a reliable, cheap to fix, parts locally engine in it. A used chevy engine is pretty cheap. Transmissions and such can always be swapped in later. I dont see what the big issue is with adapting the engine to the trans. You put a plate in between the two, bolt the trans to the plate, bolt the engine to the other side, make sure they are center lined, drill the chevy flex plate to bolt to thhe rover convertor, put shims between the flex plate and rover convertor to take up the space the adapter plate makes. Easy to say yes...but straight forward.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Mudding

OK - The GM/Chevy corporate bolt pattern is easy to find. Anyone have the Rover pattern?

One piece adapter? More expensive.....Two pieces?

Aluminum or steel?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 AM
4wd Low
Default Thought of a new twist on this.

Ok... Hear me out before the bashing commences. The 4.0 in my newly acquired Disco 2 has a dropped sleeve. The previous owner sunk a lot of money on repairs. Head gaskets etc. After reading many different posts on various swaps and contemplating many. Yes.... 6.5 gm diesel included. "Why? Because I have one in a running truck that I have owned since new and think its a great motor." But I had a thought after reading this thread. I think this idea is feasible. I think the best motor to use in this case would be the 4.3 V8 that was put in Chevy Caprice's from 1994-1996. They were an engine option instead of the 5.7. I really don't have much invested in my 02 Disco, have a full machine shop at my disposal, these 4.3 V8's are not a desired motor by the hot rod crowd and are a dime a dozen here. So that being said has any one purchased a gm V8 to zf adapter kit from Mark's 4x4 in Australia? Was hoping someone could give me an idea on the thickness of the adapter plate. Or maybe dimensions of the kit. I know that's a long shot. I know the LR purists will hate this. But isn't ingenuity, creativity, cherished by all of us on this forum?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DeereRover
Ok... Hear me out before the bashing commences. The 4.0 in my newly acquired Disco 2 has a dropped sleeve. The previous owner sunk a lot of money on repairs. Head gaskets etc. After reading many different posts on various swaps and contemplating many. Yes.... 6.5 gm diesel included. "Why? Because I have one in a running truck that I have owned since new and think its a great motor." But I had a thought after reading this thread. I think this idea is feasible. I think the best motor to use in this case would be the 4.3 V8 that was put in Chevy Caprice's from 1994-1996. They were an engine option instead of the 5.7. I really don't have much invested in my 02 Disco, have a full machine shop at my disposal, these 4.3 V8's are not a desired motor by the hot rod crowd and are a dime a dozen here. So that being said has any one purchased a gm V8 to zf adapter kit from Mark's 4x4 in Australia? Was hoping someone could give me an idea on the thickness of the adapter plate. Or maybe dimensions of the kit. I know that's a long shot. I know the LR purists will hate this. But isn't ingenuity, creativity, cherished by all of us on this forum?
Sounds like an interesting proposal. If you decide to go with the 4.3L v8, please be sure to document the build and the related expenses. I know a lot of us are open to exploring other options if (when) our Rover motors finally expire...

Old 09-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been kicking the idea around of doing the 4.3 swap when my 99 dies. I plan on using the whole drivetrain out of a 4x4 S-10 (motor,trans,tcase,ecu,etc). I talked to a few people at PenDot about the swap to make it emissions legal, they told me as long as the replacement motor has the same emmisions equipment on it they will issue a new title along with registration. I still will have to pass OBD2 emmisions test with 4.3 and I plan on using aftermarket gauges so I wont have any of that wiring to mate up.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it were me....I'd get a Cummings diesel engine and the drivetrain from a Ram pickup......and call it good forever....

Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
If it were me....I'd get a Cummings diesel engine and the drivetrain from a Ram pickup......and call it good forever....
Heavy......very heavy.

Quick Reply: chevy 4.3 v6 into d2? **Just thinking**