Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chevy 4.3 v6 into d2? **Just thinking**

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeereRover
Ok... Hear me out before the bashing commences. The 4.0 in my newly acquired Disco 2 has a dropped sleeve. The previous owner sunk a lot of money on repairs. Head gaskets etc. After reading many different posts on various swaps and contemplating many. Yes.... 6.5 gm diesel included. "Why? Because I have one in a running truck that I have owned since new and think its a great motor." But I had a thought after reading this thread. I think this idea is feasible. I think the best motor to use in this case would be the 4.3 V8 that was put in Chevy Caprice's from 1994-1996. They were an engine option instead of the 5.7. I really don't have much invested in my 02 Disco, have a full machine shop at my disposal, these 4.3 V8's are not a desired motor by the hot rod crowd and are a dime a dozen here. So that being said has any one purchased a gm V8 to zf adapter kit from Mark's 4x4 in Australia? Was hoping someone could give me an idea on the thickness of the adapter plate. Or maybe dimensions of the kit. I know that's a long shot. I know the LR purists will hate this. But isn't ingenuity, creativity, cherished by all of us on this forum?
How are you going to deal with the ECU's?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 AM
4wd Low

ECU... Well at this point its still hypothetical. But the plan would be to use all of the LR electronics, accessories, and sensors. Just retrofit them on to the GM block. That is why I think that the 4.3 V8 would be the best choice because it is the closest in displacement to the LR OEM engine. I'm in the process of trying to research the wiring of the Disco 2 and the gm engine and iron out any problems before hand. Ideally I would love to run a 5.7 but I think it would starve for fuel with the LR MAF sensor and O2 sensors. Like I said before this is strictly an experiment, I am going to do this on a strict budget, and I have the advantage of having a machine shop to use for free. If I fail at this I will remove the LR powertrain completely. Install my 6.5 diesel, 4L80e mated to a passenger drop NP 208 transfer case. Make custom drive shafts. Going this route I realize I would lose most all of the OEM luxuries like ABS,traction control etc.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Rock Crawling

One simple problem with going to a modern domestic transfer case - the rear axle is offset. It would shell out U-joints like peanuts because of the compound angles. A DANA 18 or 20 is EZ. Quadra-trac is also an option.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 PM
4wd Low

Going forward with this project. Picked up complete donor car this weekend for 500. Trying to decide if I should pony up and buy the Marks adapter kit or attempt to make my own adapter and motor mounts. I will do my best to document and take as many photo's as I can.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Mechanical issues aside, matching up two different engine management systems will be fun. I am reminded of another post, where a guy wanted electrical info on a 70's Rover - I found it on the web, and the whole truck schematic for all systems was one single regular sized page. Life was simpler.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 PM
4wd Low

Well I am going to attempt to use the Bosch electronics. I will adapt them to the Chevy block. It should be interesting.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Mudding

Can you use the chevy engine and transmission and adapt only the transfer case?

Please document the rover's bell housing bolt pattern. GM's corporate pattern is readily available. I have not been able to find the rover pattern.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:54 PM
4wd Low

Because of the way I'm doing the conversion I'm choosing to keep the ZF transmission. Yes Marks does make an adapter for a gm transmission to the LR230 transfer case. I will definitely document all the measurements.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Idk man for all that work you could probably bore out the cylinder heads and get the rover motor rebuilt. It will probably last you forever at that point and you will have more power.
I forget which site is carrying it but someone has a 5.0 liter rover V8 that makes 340 HP. I would imagine the electrical stuff would be much simpler and you wouldn't need to worry about things like the t-case and axles. Though regearing the t-case with a 4.10 gear could be a good option. Would be a badass Disco.

I remember reading online of a conversion kit designed for a similar swap you're proposing, gotta find it. If you do it you have to post progress pics, would be awesome to tune in on it.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 09-13-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

when you finish up with this project can you fiquire out how to put a ford 5.0 in one of these things for me?

Quick Reply: chevy 4.3 v6 into d2? **Just thinking**