Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chirping/squeeky sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chirping/squeeky sound

So here's the scoop: '03 disco, 2nd owner, 86k miles

I was a way from my disco for a week and after returning, fired the disco right up and no issues. No lights on dash and everything was ok. However, as soon as I placed the tranny in "D" mode and accelerated out from my garage, there was this chirping/squeeky noise coming from the engine compartment. Been going on now for about 3 days. Happens when the engine is either cold or been running for hours. However, the squeaky noise never happens when the tranny is in either the "P" or "N" mode. Also, sound undulates and the pitch gets a little higher when the gas pedal is depressed. So, gas pedal down, chirping/squeeky noise pitch increases in proportion to the gas pedal and the opposite happens.

Checked under the hood and can't seem to trace where the noise is coming. My suspicion is a belt or something with the throttle. Any clues?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Serpentine Belt is likely worn out , it will slip on the generator just after starting when there is a load on the generator refilling the battery . Engine RPMs are rather low at idle in gear .

Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Crash_Control
Serpentine Belt is likely worn out , it will slip on the generator just after starting when there is a load on the generator refilling the battery . Engine RPMs are rather low at idle in gear .

That is my vote too. When not running, check out the belt and all pulleys it runs; bet you find the belt and/or some pulley with problems. Good idea to replace belt at this point, anyway.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling

" My suspicion is a belt"

You have only one belt, so not hard to figure out. You have close to 90,000 mi., don't you think it about time to change belt? Why wait until it eventually breaks, which it will do in time, causing a lot more problems and headaches for you; possibly overheating, if you don't shut it down right away. Again, change the belt.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

90000 mi is a good time to replace the belt, but also the idlers and tensioner. They can fail, throw the belt, then you overheat and are possibly looking at a blown headgasket.

These things can escalate quickly, and on this truck I don't mess around with the cooling system. So while you have it apart, do your self a favor and replace the idlers and tensioner. Generally the cheapest place to buy parts are ebay, amazon, and rock auto.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks everyone.

Having my LR mechanic perform this task for me. This job is beyond my expertise, not to mention not having the correct tools.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That chirping sound can also be a bad drive shaft as well. In my Disco it started to chrip only in drive and only when I accelerated. Sure enough one of the U joints started to fail. So make sure you check that out.

Based on your description, it sounds exactly like what happened when my drive shaft failed.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by gbob
Thanks everyone.
Having my LR mechanic perform this task for me. This job is beyond my expertise, not to mention not having the correct tools.

I have always said, since the early 1960s, when I bought my first Rover (Land Rover series "88" and a 3 litre Rover sedan, car) A ROVER OWNER NEEDS TO WORK ON IT HIMSELF, AND KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING, OR HAVE DEEP POCKETS SO THAT HE CAN HIRE SOMEONE TO DO ALL THE WORK FOR HIM. As time passed, this has increasingly become more obvious, especially the part about having deep pockets, due to huge increase in use of electronics in vehicles, and huge increase in maintenance costs. Because of my background, I have a lot of trouble relating to people who don't do their own work on Rover, but that is just me!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Rock Crawling

it's just you. I have deep pockets.