Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaned TB per instructions, now engine is locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I blew my engine shortly after following those instructions to use the whole can, it has cost me thousands.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Mudding

Liquids do not compress, given a good enough battery and starter you will bend a rod adding products like this into the intake in large volumes. Same thing can happen with fuel, or water, pretty sure every has heard of "hydrolocking" before. Best bet is to just never do this.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott R
Liquids do not compress, given a good enough battery and starter you will bend a rod adding products like this into the intake in large volumes. Same thing can happen with fuel, or water, pretty sure every has heard of "hydrolocking" before. Best bet is to just never do this.
You can't hurt a thing if you do it correctly :-/

Old 03-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, if you are talking about doing an induction cleaning, not a t/body cleaning, you use the whole can, you don't poor it in, your meter it over 1 to 2 minutes and by doing that there is no way in hell you can damage an engine. This process has been done by shops for over 25 years.
So Disco West, either you did something way wrong or your engine was about to die anyway.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by tornado_735
You can't hurt a thing if you do it correctly :-/
I think I should have bolded "LARGE VOLUMES"

Old 03-25-2010, 04:16 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If one were to add that much fluid that fast in order to cause a hydrolock situation, well I guess they should be paying someone else to do their maintenance. You can run gallons off water through the plenum and not hydrolock an engine, it just needs to be done slowly.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those who have had problems are not talking about a "seafoam induction cleaning" while the engine is running. It's squirting a whole can of carb cleaner into the intake with the engine off and then starting it. It seems like at best that could dilute the oil somewhat, maybe kill a bearing, and at the worse it could hydrolock an engine if it were to all drain into one cylinder. All that fluid must go somewhere. Either way, there's no reason to use a whole can.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkid
Those who have had problems are not talking about a "seafoam induction cleaning" while the engine is running. It's squirting a whole can of carb cleaner into the intake with the engine off and then starting it.
Exactly. If anyone cares to look at my links, they'll see I was following this site's recommendation & instructions for throttle body cleaning with carb & choke cleaner (approved for fuel injection). The result of following the instructions exactly, was the locking of the engine. Which for the record was resolved with no sign of damage. In fact, it now runs much better. I'm not sure it was because of the cleaning, or because the previous owner had two plug wires crossed & firing in the wrong cylinders, either way I'm experiencing good results so far.

I've been doing the Seafoam induction cleaning for about 10 years with no hitch, thank you very much.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Delete what post?
Your post. or get in and update with a caution. Some of those cans are 32 ounces. All og that dumping into the intake can go down a trumpet and hydrolock a cylinder. 2nd person I have seen with this problem too.

If you put the left side on a block so it doesn't run out, you are dumping a quart of liquid into the intake. Not a good idea.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
2nd person I have seen with this problem too.
This is the first I have ever heard of.

Quick Reply: Cleaned TB per instructions, now engine is locked