Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaned TB per instructions, now engine is locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:22 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I was not aiming that at you or anyone in particular.

Maybe I just need to go and delete all of my how to's and then everyone can just figure it out on their own.
Please don't, your stuff is very helpful. Just because a couple people screwed up doesn't mean everyone else should be in the dark. I bet pleantly of people have have done that cleaning with no trouble at all. Me being one of them. That is a good write-up, and now that the one part is cleared up, I highly doubt anyone could screw it up.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Please don't, your stuff is very helpful. Just because a couple people screwed up doesn't mean everyone else should be in the dark. I bet pleantly of people have have done that cleaning with no trouble at all. Me being one of them. That is a good write-up, and now that the one part is cleared up, I highly doubt anyone could screw it up.
Exactly... I think . When errors arise due to misreadings, just clarify the post, but in the original post, not the down stream comments. no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water! My assumption was I screwed up somehow, & I needed help fixing it.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Spike555;169595]When I said "dont be cheap, use the whole can" did I say to spray the whole can into the intake?
PNo.
Spray the whole can on whatever is dirty, if you just stand there and empty the whole can into the intake then you are a idiot.
By the time a normal person cleans the outside of the t-body and then gets to the inside there should only be maybe half a can left.
I guess I should have figured in the idiot factor to huh?[/QUOTE

No need to insult my intelligence, I have already done that numerous times for this incident, which is easily the dumbest thing I have ever done. I have no interest in debating the obvious.

But to say that your instructions werent as ignorant as my decision to follow them is self revealing for you, as instructions should be taken literally, and the fact that you just changed them to exactly the opposite of what you originally posted proves the point. You
were absolutely wrong and regardless of whether you admit it or not doesn't change reality, but it does reveal something about you.

In any event, I'm glad that no one else will be at risk for following the terrible advice that I did.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

DiscoWest- I read the post the same way you did. I would have done the same thing if I was looking for instruction. Spike has not had his Rover very long, and posts things as he does them, not as he has read they have worked. He doesn't realize that you shouldn't spray carb cleaner on everything inside the engine bay. You should only lightly spray inside the TB. In the procedure, it read that you should jack up the vehicle so you didn't leak cleaner onto anything and everything just runs into the intake. You are 100% right.

Spike - Don't be a baby. seriously. You were wrong and deserve to be called out. I have been called out in the past, and it made me seriously think before I respond to things. Hopefully this makes you think before you post something, or ask others before you make it a sticky.

Last edited by okdiscoguy; 03-27-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
DiscoWest- I read the post the same way you did. I would have done the same thing if I was looking for instruction. Spike has not had his Rover very long, and posts things as he does them, not as he has read they have worked. He doesn't realize that you shouldn't spray carb cleaner on anything inside the engine bay. In the procedure, it read that you should jack up the vehicle so you didn't leak cleaner onto anything and everything just runs into the intake. You are 100% right.

Spike - Don't be a baby. seriously. You were wrong and deserve to be called out. I have been called out in the past, and it made me seriously think before I respond to things. Hopefully this makes you think before you post something, or ask others before you make it a sticky.
I'm not being a baby.
And your right, I have only had my truck for 3 years and 36,000 miles so I guess I am a new at this.
I mean its not like I went to auto mechanic school or anything (I did) or grew up on a farm and have worked on everything from lawnmowers to tractors to straight trucks. (I have)
And that sticky has been there for a year now and this is the first I have heard of anyone having any problems and ontop of that I am not the one who made it a sticky, Mike did.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Question

without insutling or pointing the finger at anyone and not trying to pick at scabs, I am curious to know what the end result was to Disco West truck, did it toast the engine, damage the starter or did taking out the spark plugs and a little prayer fix the problem. Sheepishly asking.....Phil

(for what it is worth, I cleaned the throttle body on our 99 Land Cruiser and wow, what a difference, it runs like an indy car, well, not that fast but after 185k miles and never having had a good TB cleaning, it runs great!, thanks for all of the very informative and useful info on this site!)

Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
I'm not being a baby.
I hear ya spike, nothing like someone screwing up doing something stupid and passing the blame off on someone else.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
I have been called out in the past, and it made me seriously think before I respond to things. Hopefully this makes you think before you post something.
Very well said and that's why I read and respect a lot of your opinions okdiscoguy. I didn't want to get into this discussion, but I have to back you up because I was a newbie not too long ago and believed everything I read here. Not so much anymore. A lot of the things on this forum are in fact opinions and it's usually not an exact science, however a lot of things are often stated as facts when they are not. If you have some mechanical knowledge and have been around the forum you can take this info for what it's worth. If you don't, it's hard to know who or what to believe. You just can't take everything you read on the internet as gospel. This forum is great, but it can only help so much since we are not right there and don't know all the details of the situation. It's up to the OP to gather all the facts, opinions and POSSIBLE solutions and go from there, that's called troubleshooting. I'll say that Mike seems to only state facts from years of experience and tries not to say things that are untested or "opinionated". I've noticed he doesn't get involved in the dreaded "engine oil" threads too much. I just wish he would read the threads first though (ha ha).

Spike, I don't want to make you feel worse but I'm surprised by your response to this thread. This t/b cleaning issue has come up before and I'm surprised this discussion here right now didn't happen long ago. I should have posted something back then about it. I didn't and I feel bad about that.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jkid
I'll say that Mike seems to only state facts from years of experience and tries not to say things that are untested or "opinionated". I've noticed he doesn't get involved in the dreaded "engine oil" threads too much.
Really, we must be reading different forums... Mike is just as opinionated as the rest of us. I was a newbie once and I used spike's throttle body cleaning directions and I never sprayed an entire can of TB cleaner in my engine. Even as a newbie that would never compute.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
without insutling or pointing the finger at anyone and not trying to pick at scabs, I am curious to know what the end result was to Disco West truck, did it toast the engine, damage the starter or did taking out the spark plugs and a little prayer fix the problem. Sheepishly asking.....Phil

(for what it is worth, I cleaned the throttle body on our 99 Land Cruiser and wow, what a difference, it runs like an indy car, well, not that fast but after 185k miles and never having had a good TB cleaning, it runs great!, thanks for all of the very informative and useful info on this site!)
Blown engine, it's on a stand now and you can see through it, with a three inch diameter hole behind the where the starter mounts extending into the oil pan and an inch and a half hole under cylinder 7. Parts of the rod not ejected from the block are bent badly. I've been working to put my 4.6 in an haven't yet taken it apart but it appears more is broken inside. It's a sad site.

But regardless, what's done is done. The instructions are now fixed and no one else will have the problem. Lesson learned, albeit the hard way.

Quick Reply: Cleaned TB per instructions, now engine is locked