Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Coat is Shot; To Paint or Not to Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I gotta say that wrap looks great. It's really amazing what they're doing with wraps these days. Basically indistinguishable from paint. Only thing is, a good wrap costs about as much as a paint job, no? I thought about it for one of my other cars and was getting estimates in the $5k range for a full wrap, which is pretty big money. This stuff is pretty hard to DIY as well, from what I've seen.

As for the original post, I'd do a full wet sand and then spray it myself with an aerosol 2k clearcoat. Won't cost you much other than maybe $150 in materials and a long weekend.

Provided your paint is still intact and it's just the clear that's failing, wet sanding will get all the old clear off, and then you can apply a few coats of fresh clear on top of it. Then polish out the orange peel after it cures and you'll be good to go. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to DIY this procedure, and it's really not rocket science -- especially if you don't need to spray a color coat. Most important thing is the prep work. Nothing I'd hesitate to do myself though, if I were in your situation.