Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Clicking""Chuffing" sound in D2

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Clicking""Chuffing" sound in D2

I have a metallic clicking sound from the valve cover on the right bank. Flashing engine light and slightly rough idle. I think Im getting more exhaust gasses out of the filler but it looks like the pcv is working fine apart from the broken separator. I'm leaning heavily towards a bad rocker/spring .I want to repair it myself so I do not have to spend $2000+ dollars at the dealer. I would like to know if any special tools are needed to remove the bad spring/rocker(can i remove it?). I have taken the air intake off before to do the leads etc. I have a 12 point socket 8mm for the valve cover and I am a machine mechanic by trade but I'm worried about those hidden issues and a mad wife come Monday morning!! Please do not tell me I have to take the head off to maybe remove a bent valve!! Aghh
I have my rubber valve cover gaskets and my nice new shinny oil separator which needs the old one to be removed first. And maybe a spare spring and rocker arm. Anything else that this driveway mechanic might need?

Lots of help will be greatly appreciated and I can share with everybody how it went and my 5 years of land rover fixes

Thanks

Last edited by amybc96; 09-25-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The RAVE has a write up on the valve spring issue, it that is what the problem is. Many auto parts stores loan a workable tool for that. Once valve cover is off, there are four bolts that hold on the rocker arm assembly.

But... I had a chuffing sound which turned out to be an exhaust leak out the side of the head gasket (full HG job required). You can take a piece of rubber hose, hold one end to ear and move other end along edge of head to locate the source.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, go get your codes read, not much help without them.
How mechanical are you?
Go read the sticky I posted at the top of this section regarding valve train noise before you do anything.
Don't drive it any more till fixed or you may have even more problems.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tapping sound

Thanks for the reply!! Ok via my cheap obd reader I have one code.
Cylinder 1 misfire which does not make sense? Is cylinder 1 on the front left?
and thats it.
I took the spark plugs out and they are nice and clean. Tops of the pistons look nice as well. Good compression (Only by loosing slightly and feeling the force luke)
Im pretty mechanical so I have lots of confidence by going in on my own but New England weather and evenings are closing in fast!

I have to go in to replace the valve cover gaskets and get that lovely oil strainer out anyway.
I even have a spare spring and rocker arm coming so thats about far as I go!!
If I start a thread how do I remove the cylinder head then its not going well!!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

FWIW the solid check engine light means get your truck checked, flashing means pull over, it's not worth it.