Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking Relay??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 08:45 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking Relay??

Hi everybody! I´m super new to this forum and also a new Discovery 2 owner.
I just bought a 2000 dirt cheep with a couple of fix on it.

One fault is driving me nuts!
I have from the fuse box a intemittent clicking from inside the box.
Its not from any of the flasher relays, I dubbel checked them twice.

I have tested a different fusebox with the same result.

This is my symptoms:
Besides from being an anoing intermitting click sound, My turn signals are very slow. abot half the pase from what it should be.
Some times when Drive gear is selected the turnsignals complete goes out. even hazard lights.
When the turnsignal completet goes out, the clicking noice disappear???

If I shift to neutral or park the clicking comes back and also the slow blincking turnsigals.
Another symptom is that when the clicking starts and my dip lights is on the interior light on the shift level is blinking in syncr with the clicks....

I also have the 3 amigos and can deal with it and also hopfully fix it. But this clicking is driving me crazy!!!!

Any ideas??
Kind regards Patrik

Old 11-20-2020, 12:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

My sense would be -- try to figure out what is clicking. Clicking generally means relay. I am guessing the clicking is coming from one of the relays plugged into the front of the fusebox? On this diagram R1 and R2 are the indicators. See below. Maybe try unplugging them one at a time. Or is it clicking coming from the inside of the fuse box itself with them removed. There are other built in relays to the box that ... I don't know, maybe they could click as well (I thought they were solid state though...)

That said, it does sound like a fusebox / water ingress to the fusebox issue. If there's a bad circuit in the fusebox it might be causing the relays to click-click.

Pull open the original fusebox - (carefully) - did you see evidence of water, rust, or green corrosion? And on any of the connections or connectors, did you see green corrosion?