Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control temp. button light

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Climate control temp. button light

So not a huge deal but the passenger side temp. control button light does not work on the climate control. Any fix for this?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bulb, Climate Control Head For Temp Control Switches; 2 Required (Genuine Part # 8510251) - Land Rover bulbs from Atlantic British

They use to have a video, but I cannot find it at this time. There are spring steel catches of sorts that are attached toward front of the D2 and open out toward the passenger comparment that hold the control unit in you have to put a thin flat screen driver or other device in to trip those and work it out of the dash. (See them in the video below. I had to replace my clock lamp, so I replaced these at the same time. You can take a thin card like a credit card, but thinner like a grocery store shoppers card or library card, and there are flexible plastic catches top and bottom of the clock. Push the card in on the top to lay this flush to release, and wiggle the top loose, the do the same on the bottom. You have to play with it a bit. I say this, because once the clock is out, you can more easily see the spring catches on that side of the Heat/AC control unit and spring the catch easier. Once that is done, it is easier to trip the other side and pull it out. Their are 3 multi-wire plugs that are each configured differently, so you cannot get them mixed up that you wiggle/pull out of the back of the control unit. Reference video for getting into the unit. You need a small phillips screwdriver to take the 3 recessed screws out of the back on the unit once you get it out. When the back comes off there is a flexible piece of circuit board that connects the two pieces so you have to lay them out, and then the bulbs push-twist out of the holes in the main circuit board that has contacts around the holes. I will try to find a link to some pics, that will make it a little easier, but this is the general idea.

Also there are two different bulb types in the unit, 3 across the bottom light up the LED display and are the same, and then the two on the ends are for the +/- control of the temp. Some folks actually replace the bulb in the plastic bulb base, but I did not. The bulbs are clear with a thin green rubbery boot/cover over the main body and end off the bulbs.

Found it. Here is the Atlantic British video on doing this. They have quite a few videos on YouTube that are good information. They kind of cheat by not showing you how to get the unit out, which is harder than putting it back int, but seeing the parts out does help.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 03-03-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is a D2 clock bulb replacement video as well for reference showing using the thin card to remove the clock.