Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:58 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Conversion

I have been looking through all the posts about converting from air to coil. My Disco II SE7 has a rear end that almost looks like its sitting on the tires...I've tried all the tips for the simple fix, but am seriously considering switching out to coils. I don't think it ever raises up so I'm guessing the pump is shot. My question is there are coil conversion kits and coil conversion kits with gas shocks included...what is the difference between the two? Is one better than the other? Also if I switch out to coils in the rear, should I worry about changing out the front end shocks as well? I know this is a heavily covered topic, but I couldn't find anything about coil kits that include shocks. Appreciate any insight and help.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just switched mine over a couple weeks ago and here is my knowledge/advice. Depending on mileage it might be time to replace the shocks but you don't have to when you convert since all you are changing out is the air bags for coil springs.

A coil spring conversion kit only is going to come with the 2 springs and some misc stuff to mount them in place (isolators, spring seat, bolts etc). This is the cheapest option (few hundred max). This is all you actually need to do the conversion. The question is do you want to go ahead and upgrade/replace other items that might be wore out or just time to upgrade

Beyond that some of the bigger kits come with the above but also include new shocks for all 4 corners plus new springs for the front as well so in other words you are getting all new parts all the way around. If you have some mileage on your car this is usually the way to go to improve handling and ride but will cost more money . Depending on the kit you can go medium or heavy duty and raise the vehicle ect as well. You are looking at avg 450 to 800 here depending on how far you go.

For me I have newer shocks already and so I picked up a used conversion kit for 70 dollars and called it a day. I have no need to raise mine. I replaced both my air bags two years ago and both of the new ones ended up exploding on me while just on some rough roads. They were under warranty but still pain to get towed home and replaced. In fact I cant really tell a difference in ride quality

Other notes. Getting the airbags out is easy. You can rent a spring compressor from most auto parts stores so you can install the new spring. You will also need a tap (1.5 10 tap I believe) to install the bolts the kit comes with. The holes are there just need tapped (threads added). You can do this with kit from lowes for about 20 bucks and a ratchet. Past that I temporarily zipped tied my height sensors so the car thinks it level so it doesnt try to air up or deflate the non existent bags since my compressor still works. You can do that or pull the fuse/relay for the compressor but that cause all the dash lights and constant beeping to occur. Eventually I will get it to the dealer so the car can be programmed to tell it I am using coils instead of the Air suspension but int he meantime the zip ties are working

The following users liked this post:
bobwolff68 (04-08-2015)
Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Just a note, your front springs have likely sunken from their factory height. That means the front of the truck will likely sit lower than the rear if you replace the rear springs. I would personally look into replacing all four corners. Springs and shocks both. If you wish, a small lift would cost very little extra, but it is by no means necessary.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you might want to put a little time and a little money into repairing what you have, have the air bags ever been replaced? probably not they are scheduled for replacement ever 5-6 years. if may be cheaper to fix what you have than spend 800 on spring and shocks all around.