Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cometic gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:02 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default Cometic gaskets

so this started in another thread, but I believe it deserves its own place.

nodoubt believes they are the second coming, i’m not convinced.

Cometic gaskets are metal, all of us have been using composite gaskets.

if cometic is so much better, why are they not used on the regular? Is nodoubt the only smart one on this forum?

Old 06-17-2018, 02:18 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
so this started in another thread, but I believe it deserves its own place.

nodoubt believes they are the second coming, i’m not convinced.

Cometic gaskets are metal, all of us have been using composite gaskets.

if cometic is so much better, why are they not used on the regular? Is nodoubt the only smart one on this forum?
X1 .............. Cometic gaskets are designed for 'high performance' and race engines where regular gasket changes are the regular norm and far more heat is generated within the engine and combustion chambers. Using Cometic gaskets is an expensive exercise for the average road going engine and prone to early failure. Ask the techs and designers at Ford, not the local 'grease monkey', who have tried them before many times, doomed to early failure. Multilayer steel gaskets have been around for 10-20 years in motorsport since the use of asbestos was banned in head gasket manufacture and other uses and steel head gaskets were the natural replacement BUT for performance engines only.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 06-17-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Well, I could be wrong. So far, so good, though!

Old 06-23-2018, 06:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Depends...

What fasteners is he using?

Cometic gaskets seal at the parts that there is no pressure. Like at an oil hole, the head is bolted down and the head pushes against the block. Where there is a hole the gaskets extends just a bit, enough to create a seal, there is no pressure at the little part that extends so that part isnt crushed.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:08 AM
Pro Wrench

Also, we already use these gaskets on our rover. They are on the exhaust. Take a new one and one that was used and compare, the technology behind the gasket should stand out.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Baja

The purpose of starting this thread was not to prove anybody wrong, but was to find out if I had missed an opportunity at a quality rebuild item.

I work with 2 accomplished rover engine builders and neither have even mentioned the possibility of using Cometic gaskets.

If anyone has followed the original thread, Paul Grant chimmed in at the end. Paul has had his finger on the rover pulse longer than most and when it comes to rover lore, I believe he is one of the more knowledgeable.

Paul’s quote:

”The last time Rover recommended the use of the Cometic style of gasket was back in the days when 14 bolts secured the heads to the block. When Rover (1995 for RRC and 1994 for DI if memory serves me) switched to composite gaskets is was to address the perpetual problem of leaks being created towards the back of the heads. There was a third row of four head bolts (with the furthest back bolt being the culprit for leaks all too many times) that were eliminated with the introduction of the composite gasket. At the time, nearly everyone involved with the Rover V8 felt that FINALLY Rover was doing something to address the issue of head gasket leaks. People bitched and moaned about the technique for tightening the new head bolts into place but for the vast majority, the change was viewed as a positive.”

Old 06-23-2018, 08:29 AM
Pro Wrench

The purpose of starting this thread was not to prove anybody wrong, but was to find out if I had missed an opportunity at a quality rebuild item.

I work with 2 accomplished rover engine builders and neither have even mentioned the possibility of using Cometic gaskets.

If anyone has followed the original thread, Paul Grant chimmed in at the end. Paul has had his finger on the rover pulse longer than most and when it comes to rover lore, I believe he is one of the more knowledgeable.

Paul’s quote:

”The last time Rover recommended the use of the Cometic style of gasket was back in the days when 14 bolts secured the heads to the block. When Rover (1995 for RRC and 1994 for DI if memory serves me) switched to composite gaskets is was to address the perpetual problem of leaks being created towards the back of the heads. There was a third row of four head bolts (with the furthest back bolt being the culprit for leaks all too many times) that were eliminated with the introduction of the composite gasket. At the time, nearly everyone involved with the Rover V8 felt that FINALLY Rover was doing something to address the issue of head gasket leaks. People bitched and moaned about the technique for tightening the new head bolts into place but for the vast majority, the change was viewed as a positive.”

No offense to anyone...but forget what rover thinks.

It's an aluminum block with aluminum heads using a GM design. This has been done before on many types of vehicles. I haven't used them on a head gasket on anything I've built, but, if the technology is there, why not?

The more I learn about rover the more I learn that there were some serious idiots working in engineering.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:05 AM
Baja

Rover engineers might not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but they have more hands on experience with that specific motor than Buick did. And if Paul’s account holds water, it sounds like they had to make a change.

so, if Cometics are the best thing since sliced bread, why are we all running composites?

What other aluminum block & head engines run Cometics that are daily driver tasked, non high performance engines?

Last edited by abran; 06-23-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts
Old 06-23-2018, 06:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Rover engineers might not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but they have more hands on experience with that specific motor than Buick did. And if Paul’s account holds water, it sounds like they had to make a change.

so, if Cometics are the best thing since sliced bread, why are we all running composites?

What other aluminum block & head engines run Cometics that are daily driver tasked, non high performance engines?
I can think of a couple questions.

When did cometic come out? Theres a business called cometic that makes gaskets that started in 1989. If that's the case the answer is simple. Cometic gaskets had just came out and were new technology then. Rover wrote its books on the materials used at the time.

Would you use stretch bolts? ARP? What are the torque settings and will the block hold up to them?

Theres also business deals that would have to be thought about. Maybe rover had a gasket deal or made the gaskets themselves, to switch could mean huge loss of money etc.

I'm building a 454 currently, I may put cometic gaskets on it since it 500+tq, 550+hp.

Quick Reply: Cometic gaskets