Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cometic gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Another option I’ve never heard of with the rover engines is to O-ring the heads. When I was heavy into drag racing it was all the rage for boosted applications. Machine a grove for the cylinders and water jackets, copper O-rings for the cylinders and rubber O-rings for the water jackets.
I built many high end sled motors with this system but the tolerance of head to cylinder was very tight. Also I never used sleeved cylinders, always nicasyl coated.
Not sure if it’s been tried on the rover v8.

Last edited by Fastercat; 06-23-2018 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-23-2018, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Cosmetic gaskets are we we used on the sled engines for cylinder to block

Old 06-24-2018, 06:26 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Some believe steel gaskets work OK but also some don't. So there's the dichotomy, if you believe they will work OK then try them, nothing ventured nothing gained but rather you than me first, it'll only cost a few days work and $100 if they don't for a few gaskets and head bolts.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I am by no means an expert at anything. With that said, my mechanic is. He is 92 years old and has been rebuilding engines for 75 years. He specifically raced nailhead engines for years.

He rebuilt a motor for me recently and I provided Cometic gaskets and ARP studs for him and he refused to use them. I didn't ask why because he usually just yells at me.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I just watched the Cometic company video. Nice family history lesson but not one bit of information about how their design is superior to the competition, only that Cometic is willing to make gaskets nobody else is willing to make.

They need to get one of their engineers to explain why they are better, if they are better, and discuss specific applications where that superiority over the competition applies.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast951
I just watched the Cometic company video. Nice family history lesson but not one bit of information about how their design is superior to the competition, only that Cometic is willing to make gaskets nobody else is willing to make.

They need to get one of their engineers to explain why they are better, if they are better, and discuss specific applications where that superiority over the competition applies.

The gasket makes a "bead" where the metal is missing...

The head smashes down and where there are holes the gasket isnt compressed there, therefore it seals.

With our gaskets the material, coating, wears off and your left with a piece of metal anyway.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:25 AM

Raceline

To my knowledge, steel head gaskets have been around for circa 20-30 years in various uses and forms for mostly modern performance vehicles engines where the engines are regularly stripped down. When someone proves they have used steel head gaskets for 100K+ miles without any issues I'll be convinced

Old 06-26-2018, 07:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

I'll throw in my $.02 however that's about what it's worth. Cometic are MLS gaskets (multi layer steel) and the biggest advantage seems to be reusability. I rebuilt a turbocharged BMW that used a cometic gasket and did just that, I pulled the head when changing pistons, then cleaned the gasket off off and slapped it back in. This car was originally a normally aspirated car when it left the factory with a conventional gasket 30 years ago however the turbo pressurized the intake side with 18lbs of pressure so the volume of air in the combustion chamber was multiplied many times over. Power went from 182hp at the crank to 383 at the wheels. The conventional wisdom was to use a cometic gasket and ARP studs to handle the increased pressure, which it has had no problem doing for 10s of thousands of miles now.

In that so many of these Rovers seem to have headgasket failures I think that a cometic might be a good choice from a reuse standpoint. My only concern would be that the paper gasket is failing for a reason and would using a cometic adversely affect whatever process is causing the failure and thereby cause something else to fail instead. Or would it be a cure???

Last edited by ahab; 06-26-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ahab

In that so many of these Rovers seem to have headgasket failures I think that a cometic might be a good choice from a reuse standpoint. My only concern would be that the paper gasket is failing for a reason and would using a cometic adversely affect whatever process is causing the failure and thereby cause something else to fail instead. Or would it be a cure???

IMHO like so many TD5's, the V8's overheat for various tangible reasons and many/most haven't any knowledge of metallurgy interaction so IMHO any MLS gasket won't overcome any overheated, warped and damaged alu cylinder head and the problem root causes will prevail whatever. ARP or any other head bolts aren't the answer to warped cylinder heads, nothing is.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

If your heads are warped you're just wasting money on any headgasket.

Quick Reply: Cometic gaskets