Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common Problem Combination

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common Problem Combination

Devoted reader, first time "poster," as it is said.

So I purchased a 2004 Disco II SE7 with a little over 60,000 miles on it from an honest-looking fellow. Beautiful car, ran great at first. I'm in Guam b/c I'm in the Navy, he left the island shortly thereafter. Anyways the car has been a challenge to love and I hate that guy. Vengeance belongs to the Lord though, I'm told.

So to my problems:
(1) 3 amigos showed up 2 days after purchased but it ran fine, so whatever (I'm planning the Option B once I get the nerve and somebody to help me);
(2) Then I had some weird electrical stuff (No power to radio, restart then power to radio, same with A/C)- had it checked out, bad battery replaced, electricity to everything but the A/C is blowing hot and was always weak. I'll deal with it later and sweat (unless someone has an idea);
(3) Then it started running rough and I had the misfire codes, so I replaced the wires (STI) and plugs (+4s) as the experts on this site directed (and using the helpful instructions), with some disagreement on brand, Misfires gone, ran like a dream for a few days;
(4) Now it has started to run less strong, the check engine light came on, and the following codes arrived P0150, P1413, P1416 (Never on before wire and plug change).

So the Manual says the combination of the P1413 and P1416 mean I have an SAI Valve issue I need to trouble-shoot, the steps listed as

"5 Vacuum supply – Check for: solenoid stuck open (mechanical failure) or stuck open (electrical failure)

6 SAI Valve – Check for: leakage from one or both valves"

MY QUESTIONS: ANY IDEA ABOUT INVOLVEMENT OF P0150 WITH THE OTHER TWO? ANY PRACTICAL ADVICE ON AN APPROACH TO THIS MESS? POSSIBILITY THE CODES THROWN ARE RELATED TO THE WIRE AND PLUG SWITCH (seems unlikely unless I did something)?

Thanks in advance for the advice and help. You guys seem great from reading your posts (I especially like DiscoMike because sometimes he is mean to people who are cocky but don't know as much as him but he will also offer to give people a friggin phone call- who does that?)---- though please understand in advance, you are all much smarter and more brave than I am with these things. I am a novice who has owned this car 5 months, raised by a banker to pay someone else to fix things, unable to follow that lead with a Land Rover and meet my 20% retirement savings goal.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

DM is in my phone, right before AAA! Not sure if a vacuum leak somewhere could trip the O2 sensor code, or you may independent of the other issue(s) have a bad O2 sensor.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

The SAI Solenoid is a cheap easy fix and a common fail.

Replace that and see if your codes go away.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by swfqk6
(2) Then I had some weird electrical stuff (No power to radio, restart then power to radio, same with A/C)- had it checked out, bad battery replaced, electricity to everything but the A/C is blowing hot and was always weak. I'll deal with it later and sweat (unless someone has an idea);
#2 - Check for Low Freon, leak, etc?