Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused about stereo - HK or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
I've just cut into the CD cable under the passenger seat and added a 1/8th plug to the passenger seat control panel. I like hard wiring over FM. Means no CD player and the sound shuts off for a few seconds when the discs shuffle, but the sound is great. And it cost $3.
You need to just tap into the audio positive and negative, and then leave all of the other wires intact, correct? The head unit won't stay set to CD unless it senses the discs I think, so you just need to keep the magazine full so that you can use the input. At least it gives you something to do with 6 of your CD's.

Here's what someone did with a Range Rover Classic, a similar approach should work for for the DII: ipodadapter

Old 12-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

check with DM he used to have a link to another place that sold them, you unplug the cd unit and plug the adaptor in for mp3

Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
There's a little door/hatch on the front panel under the passeneger seat that flips down so you can get at the CD magazine. Regarding the speakers, just look at the front door. If you see a speaker grille down by your feet in the front of the lower bin, a small speaker grille towards the top of the door panel by the window and a little speaker grill on the trim that runs from the dashboard up to the ceiling then you have the HK high-line system. Otherwise, you don't.
I have all three speakers. Great. Now I know! Time to start fixing this.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mchang
I have all three speakers. Great. Now I know! Time to start fixing this.
The best way to confirm whether you have Phillips or HK speakers is to ACTUALLY LOOK at the speakers. I've not seen an early DII ('99-'02) that had HK speakers that didn't say so on the grilles. The only HK speakers that didn't say it on the grille were the rear passenger door tweeters and the grille for the subwoofer. However, EVERY HK speaker is clearly labeled on the side with a green Land Rover/HK label complete with the part number. If it's a Phillips speaker the grilles are NOT labeled anywhere but the make is still shown on the white Land Rover/Phillips label on the side or back of the speakers.

So, if you have an early DII and it doesn't have speaker grilles proudly labeled as HK then, my bet is they are not HK but Phillips. If you still want to check, pull a door card and you'll know in a second because the make will be right there on the label.

Also, I have plenty of front door cards here with two Phillips speakers per card. Add them to the speaker in the A-pillar and you have your three speakers per side. That is not a definitive way of determining the make of your speakers.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I based my advice on the wiring diagrams in RAVE. The high-line wiring shows 3 drivers for the front doors, while the low and mid-line systems show only 2. I have an '04 with the high-line system, but it came with Phillips speakers that didn't sound very good. Previously, I had a 1999 P38 with the HK labels on the grilles and those speakers sounded like crap too.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
You need to just tap into the audio positive and negative, and then leave all of the other wires intact, correct? The head unit won't stay set to CD unless it senses the discs I think, so you just need to keep the magazine full so that you can use the input. At least it gives you something to do with 6 of your CD's.
[/url]
Yep, that's what I did. Works fine, seems dumb to be powering all that CD playing and shuffling, but on the other hand keeps it working.
I did have the baffling moment after I cut both of the positive leads but the stereo kept playing, seemed a bit magical, but I got over it.
I did find a bit in the RAVE that describes both Left and Right negative being spliced together, so no worries about making them a common ground.

"The head unit is earthed by two B wires from the head unit to splice A22/A190"

Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
I've just cut into the CD cable under the passenger seat and added a 1/8th plug to the passenger seat control panel. I like hard wiring over FM. Means no CD player and the sound shuts off for a few seconds when the discs shuffle, but the sound is great. And it cost $3.
YESSSSSSS +11111111

I did this years ago when I installed my Pioneer AVIC GPS / bluetooth / iPod interfact unit - it's hard-wired into the CD wires.

Big tip - simply leave ONE CD in the changer so it never tries to rotate discs. My changer was getting stuck between discs but if you hit it a few times it'll successfully check all and only use the one on repeat, enabling sound to those 3 wires full-time minus track changes. I wired it to a female 3.5mm headphone jack giving me an "aux in" port like all the newer cars.

I've never seen a Disco II labeled as HK. My range rover has the actual emblems for the Logic7 system but my DII has the subwoofers (well, had.. since I installed 2x 10"s since then) and the CD changer / door and a-pillar component speakers, it still doesn't say HK! It sounds very very good for the age though. I don't plan on changing out the head unit or speakers any time soon.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Big tip - simply leave ONE CD in the changer so it never tries to rotate discs. My changer was getting stuck between discs but if you hit it a few times it'll successfully check all and only use the one on repeat, enabling sound to those 3 wires full-time minus track changes.
Ah, I was wondering about that, I'll give that go.

The three front speaker thing seems to be the sign of the "High Line" which I assume is Harman Kardon. Personally I'm loving the sound, but then again it's a big step up from the two speakers and a walmart amp setup in the '87 Comanche that I was used to. Also enjoying sound insulation, that's a pretty sweet upgrade too.