Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused - Oil level - quick question (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 07:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused - Oil level - quick question (with pics)

Hey, I am very confused when checking my oil level... I changed the oil a month ago and put a new filter. I added around 6.5 quarts of new oil. When I check the level (cold engine) I get this looking at the side with the text (couple of inches above limit)

But I can also get this - looking at the side without the text (just at / above the limit)

Any ideas? Should i completely change the oil again? Or just remove some (is that even possible)? I have a coolant leak that I need to deal with - I have read here that it can end up in the oil; but the oil would be milky then, correct?

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2018, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Dumb question, but are you removing the dipstick, wiping it down first & then re-inserting it, and pulling it out again to read it? That normally will remove the excess that is in the dipstick tube for a more accurate reading.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Is that 6.5 quarts including the oil you pre-filled in the filter?

Too much oil. Trust the dipstick... it' If I'm doing a change, and not replacing the filter, I put in about a gallon.
If I'm changing the filter too, I use maybe 6 quarts max, but I also have a big M1-301 filter.

You can take some oil out by unthreading the drain plug

Old 03-22-2018, 08:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Is that 6.5 quarts including the oil you pre-filled in the filter?
Too much oil. Trust the dipstick... it' If I'm doing a change, and not replacing the filter, I put in about a gallon.
If I'm changing the filter too, I use maybe 6 quarts max, but I also have a big M1-301 filter.
You can take some oil out by unthreading the drain plug
Yes, I clean wipe the stick before checking...
Damn, I really did not want to have to do this... I guess no choice.
Thanks!

Old 03-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Pro Wrench

There are worse things to have to fix. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:04 PM
Drifting

Indeed.
I was planning on changing my thermostat, and coolant... hope to have time to do both!

Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

If it's like any other LR it'll probably loose that little amount of oil over the next few weeks anyway marking it's territory lol

Old 03-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Mine sometimes shows higher on one side than the other. It's no big deal. Just go by whatever the lower side says.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TheKooksSociety
Indeed.
I was planning on changing my thermostat, and coolant... hope to have time to do both!
That's the trap. I was going to do the same, and ended up rebuilding the whole engine, mostly out of curiosity.... and paranoia.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKooksSociety
Hey, I am very confused when checking my oil level... I changed the oil a month ago and put a new filter. I added around 6.5 quarts of new oil. When I check the level (cold engine) I get this looking at the side with the text (couple of inches above limit)

But I can also get this - looking at the side without the text (just at / above the limit)

Any ideas? Should i completely change the oil again? Or just remove some (is that even possible)? I have a coolant leak that I need to deal with - I have read here that it can end up in the oil; but the oil would be milky then, correct?

Thanks!
Mine is the same. Every rover I've owned was like that. One side of the dipstick is always way over, the other side is accurate. A little over full is ok, just don't go way over. I wouldn't worry about it, just leave it until the next oil change.

Quick Reply: Confused - Oil level - quick question (with pics)