Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering complete engine rebuild while I have it out. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering complete engine rebuild while I have it out. Any thoughts?

Any resources or vendors you guys could turn me onto for parts would be more than appreciated. Additionally, anything I should keep in mind that might not be so obvious? I'm going to have some experienced help but Rovers seem to have their own idiosyncrasies that im probably not nearly familiar enough with. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by XxRoverAllOverxX; 04-16-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 04-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, why do you have it out and at your mileage, why are you wanting to rebuild it?

Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Three Wheeling

I have several slow leaks. I think the front engine seal is going and I definitely have to do a head gasket so I figured I'd be proactive. Is that a bad idea? While I've got access to lifts, an engine hoist, dyno and all that good stuff I figured I'd do as much as I can.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default idiosyncrasies a mood point..

I will give yo my 2 cents as a owner of 3 rovers over the last 9 years... If you have the money and time and lifts and equipment...do it....hell go have top hat liners put in and do it right. I have the same 2004 DS II as you only a SE7. 120,000 and i have a decision to make also. Do i spend the money to isolate the problems i am having as 3 rover mechanics still cant figure out what is wrong with mine or do i just tear it out and start the way it should of been built and enjoy driving it as apposed to having it sit in the drivway. In the end it seems rebuilding it is the cheaper route. if you read threw the forums long enough you will realize that besides being a great truck, it was engineered and by the biggest bunch of Fuc*&king morons on this planet. If they designed airplanes they would be in prision. That taken, i would opt for a truck i do not have to worry about and can drive without constantly screwing around with leaks and operational problems and spend time just driving....I think they should of called them Land Murphy's

Best of luck, Chris

Last edited by vandev; 04-18-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Yeah I feel the same way. I have no major functional problems at this point but I know I will if I don't address these issues now. Kinda the way i look at it. The only issue I have is no REAL experience with rover mechanics. I know an engine is an engine but in the case of rover that seems to be untrue. They really are unlike anything else in I appreciate every bit of it.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default you got it

Originally Posted by XxRoverAllOverxX
Yeah I feel the same way. I have no major functional problems at this point but I know I will if I don't address these issues now. Kinda the way i look at it. The only issue I have is no REAL experience with rover mechanics. I know an engine is an engine but in the case of rover that seems to be untrue. They really are unlike anything else in I appreciate every bit of it.

I can tell you that rover mechanics know the trucks better than other mechanics because they see these broken trucks on a daily basis with the same problems. Remember it started as a buick and then lucas got involved and screwed everything up. Oh, i almost forgot the engineers who designed all the systems where on crystal meth... Anyway, sometimes it seems the people here on the board have better answers than the dealer anyway. Remember, the dealers policy ...if it has a issue replace it. They really dont fix things they replace things. Why do you think they depreciate so much and so fast. Owners ..even rich ones can only take so much...You should be able to find a small indy rover mechanic in your area or one that use to work at land rover for your needs. You sound like you know enough to pull an engine and take it to the right peope to have the work done. Download the rave and take a look..

Thanks Chris

Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Chris, will do. I'd really like to know the ins and outs of this vehicle. I've had jeeps for years and they are fairly straight forward but these monsters seem like a whole different animal. Keep in mind that this rover will not be my daily driver so I have all the time I need to get it right. Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming.