Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished Complete Engine Rebuild Massive Leak Found

Old 08-10-2010, 09:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished Complete Engine Rebuild Massive Leak Found

I just finished redoing my entire engine and I just started it and idled smooth and everything seemed fine until i looked underneath and found a large coolant leak coming from the rear of the engine I stopped the engine and it continued to leak for about 20 mins, It's a steady stream and comes down and pours down the side of the bell housing for the transmission. I traced it down to the rear top of the engine but it's so tight back there I am not able to locate where exactly it's pouring out from. if your looking at the engine from the front it's coming from the rear left top.

I did find a U shaped hose after i was finished rebuilding the Engine but cannot say 100% that's it's from the Discovery as i don't recall it coming off. it's about 2 to 3 inches from the top of the U to the outlets and one side is a bit longer than the other. Is there a hose like this that belongs in the rear? Because I have looked at the the Rave manuals and cant match it with anything. Please help.

Last edited by momentum59; 08-11-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default yikes...

It almost sounds like there is a crack somewhere... did you check the torqe on the head bolts? did you have the block pressure leak tested..as well as the heads... there is no hose back there...only 2 water jacket ports on each side of the block...that seems to be where you are looking. where the head and block decked? Get a dental mirror and flash light and look closer to find where it is leaking...get back with what you find...

Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I feel for you man. Nothing like getting done with a time consuming rebuild and then have Niagara Falls start from under your rover. Let us know where it is comming from

Old 08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably obvious...but your two heater hoses are connected at the firewall and the hard lines, right?