Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant change....went poorly

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default coolant change....went poorly

We had a warmish day here so I thought I'd quickly change the coolant and that orange crap out of. Should have been easy, but it wasn't.

My bleed screw broke so I'm stuck until I can get a new hose. So until then....can I get a bit of input?

All I did was drain the system as best I could and changed out the thermostat. I thought I bled it out. Filled the raised overflow bottle and ran it for a bit. Seemed to warm up but wasn't taking anymore coolant. I got up to around 194 and my heat was blowing cool air. Soooo.....I shut it off, let it cool a bit and when I opened the bleed screw it broke off and leaks.

So I have a couple issues. 1) why am I not getting heat? And how do I properly address this....obviously my understanding on how to bleed it out didn't work. 2) I need a new hose. I'm going to call the dealer and see what outrageous price they want for one and then I'll probably order one and pay to overnight it. I need to get this fixed ASAP (Wife is due to go into labor any day now so I'll be busy soon.) Can you get just the upper hose or is always sold as a kit w/ the t, etc?

I put a moto rad 180 thermostat in it if that matters.

Thank you!!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Ive got a T hose section and a brass bleeder screw upgrade I can ship 1st thing in the AM.

I sent you a PM.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

To bleed the coolant, you have to unclip the coolant reservoir and raise it so that it becomes the highest point of the cooling system. Add coolant with it elevated until the coolant comes flowing out of the bleed screw hole, then screw that back in and replace the coolant reservoir in its regular position.

The full procedure is in the Rave(maintenance manual), do a search on this site and download it to save on future grief.

Did you flush the system after draining out the Dexcool or just drain the Dexcool and add your new coolant?

Old 11-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Last question, did the bleed screw snap, or simply screw all the way out so that it falls into your hand?
Just thought I'd mention the obvious because I remember back to my state of mind prior to my wife going into labour

Old 11-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Baja

Good point about flushing versus draining.

I have heard that a mix of Dexcool and the green stuff can create jelly and if you only drained, there is still Dexcool in your motor, heater core, etc.

Also, The reason you are not getting heat is probably because there is no coolant running through the heater core, but if you only drained that should not be the case.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:13 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

you can get a brass bleeder screw from a BMW dealer for $5 ish.

You should not be running your engine while bleeding it. Should be stone cold. As mentioned elevate the tank, open bleed screw, fill tank until steady stream comes out bleed hole. REINSERT bleed screw while stream is flowing. Replace expansion tank lid and tank to proper location.

NOW START THE MOTOR.

If it still has air in the system at this point wait till it is cold again and repeat.

But don't open the bleed screw hot... or don't do the procedure with the engine running.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks.

Engine was off w/ the tank raised, but maybe not enough. I used the peak global/universal. It doesn't gel when mixed with anything.

The bleed screw is still partially in the hose....threaded part broke off from the part you grab. I'll see if I can get it out and look into buying the brass one. Any tricks for getting that part un threaded?

Thanks again!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by stb616
Thanks.

Engine was off w/ the tank raised, but maybe not enough. I used the peak global/universal. It doesn't gel when mixed with anything.

The bleed screw is still partially in the hose....threaded part broke off from the part you grab. I'll see if I can get it out and look into buying the brass one. Any tricks for getting that part un threaded?

Thanks again!
Yes, find a flat blade screwdriver that fits nicely in the bleed hole. Now, get a lighter (or torch) and heat the tip of the screwdriver until it's real hot, stick the hot screwdriver into the broken plastic threaded until it makes a slotted impression in the threaded plastic piece. Now you should be able to "unscrew" the broken plastic piece from the hose.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:20 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive asked about the brass screws at bmw,no one has ever seen or heard of one there,ive seen them on ebay from time to time,anyways the plastic ones are $4 buy a couple so you have an extra

Old 11-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Baja

I bought several of the brass ones a bimmerzone, they weren't chesp. $16 a piece. You can find them on ebay for around $12.

Just search "BMW brass bleeder screw"

Quick Reply: coolant change....went poorly