Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak from under expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak from under expansion tank

The other day I noticed coolant on my garage floor after my wife left for work in my 2003 Disco SE with 80000 miles on it. The coolant on the floor looked like it had been dripping all night.

I topped it off when she got home (not running hot). This morning I noticed that the leak was 2x as bad, so I topped it off and let it run for a little bit. After a few minutes I noticed coolant coming from the bottom of the expansion tank.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by lord.of.the.idiots
The other day I noticed coolant on my garage floor after my wife left for work in my 2003 Disco SE with 80000 miles on it. The coolant on the floor looked like it had been dripping all night.

I topped it off when she got home (not running hot). This morning I noticed that the leak was 2x as bad, so I topped it off and let it run for a little bit. After a few minutes I noticed coolant coming from the bottom of the expansion tank.

Any suggestions?

I had a similar issue with my Audi and come to find out the tank itself had split. No explanation as to why, but replace it an never had another problem with it.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Replace the tank!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ What they said, then replace the hose clamps to the worm style clamps, those factory clamps get worn out and there's no way to tighten them.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have not already do so. The tank realeases up. Gently rock it back and forth and it will come up. Then you can see for sure if you have a crack on the bottom. 2x on the worm drive hose clamps. I bought a 10 pack of the tiny ones and have put one on every hose I can find in my 2003. Even after I did the throttle body fix I was getting a drip from a hose...it was the old crappy style hose clamp

Old 02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Those clamps don't wear out, and besides, there are none under the bottle.
If nothing else, carefully pick up the bottle, without breaking either of the 2 black plastic hoses and see what you find.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for all of the great advice. After I posted this, I search more post and found the idea about putting another clamp on it. So I went out to my garage and cleaned the bottom of the tank off and I could not find a hole in it, I then tugged on the nipple and it didn't budge (I feel like a pervert for saying that). There was fuild in the tank over the nipple and I could not find a leak around it. So I bought a small clamp and put it right above the old clamp and it seems to be working ok. I let it run with the heater on for 10 minutes before taking it for a long drive.

I did not mention that we have had record setting cold weather here this week and this all started after my wife got called into the hospital one night this week in the middle of the night. Not sure if that (the cold weather) had anything to do with it or not.

I plan on using this as an introduction with the local independent euro shop here in town this week. I think I am going to have him make sure there is not a hole in the tank and then see about replacing the Expansion Tank To Throttle Hose (that is the one that was loose).

Thoughts - Suggestions?

Old 02-07-2011, 04:29 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Those clamps don't wear out, and besides, there are none under the bottle.
If nothing else, carefully pick up the bottle, without breaking either of the 2 black plastic hoses and see what you find.
I've had 2 separate "dissapearing coolant" issues due to those clamps losing their tension, don't tell me they don't wear out...