Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolent system question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolent system question

This is the kind of post that always drives me, and everyone else, nuts...but trying to work a full-time job and be a full-time parent leave little room for trial and error.

I replaced the radiator in my 2001 Disco 2 (approx. 110k miles). the question is, does swapping the radiator out cause a significant increase in pressure on the system? I havn't measured the pressure yet (see line 1), but last night I replaced a second hose clamp (located on the hose coming from thermostate to lower intake manifold, picture attached - hose going right of alternator, left of compressor) because it was leaking fluid (in fairness, I think I forgot to tighten the first one (leading to the thermostat from the lower radiator. The water pump, thermostat, all hoses (except heater) and radiator are new. Also, headgaskets, MAF, ABS, valley pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, intake gasket are also new (within a couple of months).

I will top back off with fluid tonight and run her again to see if anything else springs a leak. Any advice is welcome...and yes the belt is on correctly (used diagram from atlantic british)

Attached Thumbnails Coolent system question-1295876087798.jpg  

Last edited by davidlafrance; 05-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The new rad will not cause in increase in coolant pressure, if anything you should get less pressure since it does not have any crud built up in it.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Three Wheeling

I believe the pressure in these systems is a bit higher than the normal 14 or so psi that we are used to. That, combined with the complexity of the hoses can lead to issues with leaks. I recently did my head gaskets and put all new hoses and thermostat on. I even bought one of those fancy cable operated spring clamp tools (which work great by the way) but I had to fiddle around for a couple of days to stop all of the dribbles.

At first I figured that spring clamps are exerting a constant clamping force so maybe a few thermal cycles and it would seal up but that didn't appear to be happening so I had to make some adjustments and in two places I gave up and replaced the spring clamps with high grade marine style worm clamps. All is good now and in fairness - not all of my spring clamps were new, I figured they would still be good but maybe not. I think, in theory the spring clamps are superior but that's just a guess of mine.

Anyway, the worm clamps worked - you can get them at West Marine or other marine supply store. They are the kind that won't cut serrations into the hoses.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Thanks guys

I went to worm clamps...no more problems.....thanks for the input. Maybe I should say no more problems, right now...to be continued......as always. Gotta love the Disco