Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling System Pressure

1999 disco II, 140K

I have been tracking down cooling leaks for six moths. At this time I have replaced / repaired:

Upper Radiator Hose
Thermostat
Overflow line
Lower Radiator Hose
(2) Intake heater hoses
Third Radiator hose
Pressure Cap
Radiator

Everytime I replace a bad hose, another on pops a leak. This made me think it might be that the pressure cap on the overflow was bad and letting the system develop to much pressure. I replaced it about two months ago. Went out and played with it yesterday ans blew off one of the hose clamps. (lower radiator, it pulled it over the nipple). I fixed it and replaced the clamp with a good silicone style one. Refilled the system, bleed the system, and drove it for the afternoon. It drove very well with no signs of overheating. Jumped in the next morning to head to work and got about two miles from the house and she started to over heat and ended up parked in a gas station while I walked the other mile to work. After woork I checked the water level and it was low. I refilled the system and drove it home. When i got it home i let it run for an hour or so and no overheating. I came out the next morning and checked the level and the resivour was low. When I went to take the cap over it pop (Sounded like a gun shot). The engine was completely cold. It had not been driven in about 14 hours. Should the system have not releaved the pressure by then? Do you think the new cap needs to be replaced? Is there something else that can be causing the problem?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Send me your tele number and I'll try and walk you thru what you need to do.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If you have a leak between one (or more) of the cylinders and a coolant gallery it will cause over pressurization of the cooling system.
To see if that's what the problem is, remove the spark plugs and do a coolant system pressure test.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Blown head gasket.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been leaning towards a head gasket also, is there any way I can drive the truck for about thirty miles to the service shop? I have already spoken to the shop and quoted a price just don't wanna get raped by a tow company fopr the long haul.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How much are they charging you? Make sure they do any necessary tests to make sure you get it fixed this time.
As for the drive, Bleed the system the night before you go, recheck it in the morning, make sure the coolant level is all the way to the cap and if need be, drive with the windows down and the heater set too full hot and high fan speed so it will help the engine stay cooler.